Geisinger's Heart & Vascular Institute
Geisinger's Heart & Vascular Institute is on a mission to prevent heart and vascular disease through research, early intervention and lifestyle changes. We look to the day when we can tell our patients "you will be the last person in your family to have a heart attack."
Our focus is on proactive care: education about healthy lifestyles, early diagnosis and treatment, and management of personal risk factors affecting overall health. Of course, when traditional medicine is needed, we will continue to provide the highest quality care, while offering our patients the latest proven treatments, all within conveniently located modern facilities.
Redefining care for hearts and lives
Through campaign support much can be accomplished. We will:
- Research genetic and general health predispositions to identify risk factors for heart and vascular disease. Continue research to learn more about heart disease in women.
- Detect issues early and intervene before the onset of illness through life style changes, medication therapy, and non-invasive treatments.
- Educate our patients, and the larger community, to take a proactive approach to their care.
- Invest in capital projects, such as expansion of the Hospital for Advanced Medicine (HfAM) at Geisinger Medical Center. HfAM is an integrated center for the most critically ill and injured patients, with beds that can connect from intensive care to recovery as the patient progresses.
- Expand our ProvenCare® programs, extending past successes to additional heart and vascular surgeries, chronic conditions, and "prediction" models.
- Strengthen existing clinical programs and create new ones, including: Integrated Heart Failure Program, Heart Valve Clinic, comprehensive Women's Heart and Vascular Disease Program, and Acute Stroke Program.
- Attract and retain nationally recognized heart specialists; train the next generation of healthcare professionals in the rapidly changing field of heart and vascular medicine.
- Strengthen existing patient care programs like our Level 1 Heart Attack Program of Central and Northeastern Pennsylvania. Our Level I Heart Attack Program ensures that patients receive life-saving treatment - fast! We achieve these record times by partnering with emergency ambulance and helicopter services, as well as community hospitals.
And, of course, we will continue to provide the highest quality care at Geisinger Medical Center, The Richard and Marion Pearsall Heart Hospital at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center, Geisinger-Community Medical Center in Scranton, Geisinger-Shamokin Area Community Hospital, Geisinger-South Wilkes-Barre, Geisinger-Gray's Woods at State College and our other convenient community practices, near you.