Improving social services in Columbia County
There are many local businesses and organizations in Columbia County who want to improve the quality of life in our county, including social service organizations, health care organizations, private businesses, legislators, and various non-profit organizations.
The Columbia County Human Services Coalition (CCHSC) brings these groups together to provide social services to the community at little to no cost. Current services include medical, transportation, family, and nursing programs.
Geisinger is there
Educating our region on the value of mental health
As an active member of the CCHSC, Geisinger Bloomsburg Hospital (G-BH) collaborates with a network of community, industry, health and human service organizations. Twenty different agencies throughout our community sit on the coalition board.
CCHSC has identified four (4) priority areas:
- Universal access to community based, family centered, pre-school and school age services throughout Columbia County.
- Addressing health and human services concerns.
- Providing access to user-friendly information and referral services
- Improving interagency communication and cooperation
GBH works with the coalition’s health and human service professionals to improve access to help create a supportive community where children and families can thrive. The achievements brought about through this unique partnership include:
- Family Centers – Personalized home visits along with parenting classes and group decision making.
- Nurse/Family Partnership – Serving first time mothers and newborns. Since 2001, with over 910 mothers enrolled.
- Early Childhood Conference – Annual networking meeting for those working with preschoolers.
- Dental Health Clinic – Since 2002, serviced over 10,000 uninsured and low income individuals and families with quality dental care and referrals.
- Housing & Homeless Taskforce – Acquired state grants that enable nearly 100 families to avoid eviction and remain in their homes
- Columbia County Volunteers in Medicine Clinic – Free medical services treating chronic and untreated illnesses for the uninsured public. Over 17,000 clients served.