Your Community is our Community
Meeting the needs of the communities we serve means understanding those communities thoroughly. And what better way to do that than by talking to the people who live and work there through a Community Health Needs Assessment?
Geisinger partnered with the Healthy Northeast Pennsylvania Initiative, a regional membership based organization focused on community health, and contracted with The Institute for Public Policy & Economic Development, to conduct the assessment. Together, we initiated a household survey of Luzerne and Lackawanna counties, collected data and interviewed local social service workers, health care professionals, and representatives from major employers, free clinics, local government and insurers.
The study was completed in 2012 and what we found was eye opening. The top three needs in Lackawanna County are:
- Improved access to healthcare for underinsured and uninsured residents.
- Increasing healthy behaviors, including health education programs focused on diet and exercise, stress, safety, and prevention of chronic diseases
- Community development of multilingual healthcare services; expanded mental health and drug and alcohol services; and transportation
So now that we better understand the needs of the communities we serve, what are we doing to meet them? Plenty.
At Geisinger-Community Medical Center, patients and families can access high quality, coordinated, patient centered care - right in their community. The following pages highlight programs and services offered to our communities, with information designed to help those who need it most. Our non-profit mission allows us to not only make significant investments in community needs, but also partner with other local non-profit organizations to help improve the health of the people we serve in northeast and central Pennsylvania:
- Geisinger - Community Medical Center Community Health Needs Assessment (.pdf)
- View the new Community Health Needs Assessment brochure (.pdf), highlighting several Geisinger programs and services available in your community.