Geisinger Health System recognizes its responsibility to provide accurate public information. Reporters can access information from Geisinger Health System 24 hours a day through its media representatives and their associates (see How to Contact PR). We are proud of our record of providing the media with accurate, ethical and timely information and access to our health care facilities. In return, we ask that you respect our obligation to protect our patients' well-being and legal right to privacy.
Geisinger Health System Media Policy
- News media will seek information through designated Geisinger public relations representatives and will clearly identify themselves as media representatives in all communications with Geisinger employees.
- In compliance with applicable state and federal laws including, but not limited to, HIPAA privacy regulations, no information can be given that violates the confidentiality, privacy or legal rights of patients.
- All visits to Geisinger facilities must be approved in advance by Geisinger public relations staff or their representatives. When news crews must be dispatched immediately, assignment editor should call 570-214-9721 or 570-271-6435 and let the PR staff know a crew is on the way.
- Identifiable photographs, film or video of Geisinger patients taken on Geisinger property will not be published or aired without permission of the patient or patient's guardian. This includes patients arriving via ambulance or Life Flight emergency transport at a Geisinger facility. Written permission will be sought as soon as possible by Geisinger public relations staff or their representatives.
- All interviews with patients, including telephone interviews, must be approved in advance by Geisinger representatives.
- Access to patients will be arranged if the patient or patient's guardian is willing and his/her condition permits. This is to ensure the patient's health is not adversely affected and ability to consent to an interview is not compromised by illness, injury or medications.