ACCESSING THE INTERNET AT GEISINGER
Geisinger Medical Center offers complimentary wireless internet access to our patients and visitors. Patients and visitors without access to a wireless device can take advantage of complimentary internet service 24/7 at public computers in the lobbies of the Medical Center.
How do I get wireless internet access?
If you plan to bring your own wireless device (laptop, PDA), please visit the Information Desk in the Abigail Lobby during the following hours to receive an instruction sheet and wireless pass code:
- Monday – Friday, 7:30 am to 8 pm
- Saturday – Sunday, noon to 8 pm
The physical security of your personal device is your responsibility.
Can I use a hospital computer to access the internet?
Wireless devices are not provided by the hospital, but if you need to connect to the internet and do not have your own wireless device, public computers are available for your use.
Public computers are available at the following times and locations:
- Community Health Library located in the Abigail Lobby directly across from the gift shop - Monday- Friday 8 AM to 4 PM
- In the Abigail Lobby located next to the information desk - 24/7
- Health Info Express located in the Foss lobby - 24/7
Are there costs involved?
No. These services are complimentary.
What if my laptop is not wireless compatible?
Many new laptops are built with Wi-Fi capability, allowing you to connect to the internet without wires or cables. If your computer is not Wi-Fi compatible, you may have to purchase a wireless internet card. Unfortunately, Geisinger does not provide these devices. They may be purchased from almost any retail electronics store.
Can I print?
No. Printing is not supported from your laptop to a Geisinger device.
What Web sites can I view?
There are certain internet restrictions you should be aware of while accessing the internet at Geisinger. Geisinger uses content filtering tools to prevent access to select Web sites for protection of both you and Geisinger. Read more about this in our Visitor Use Agreement that you must accept before starting your internet session.
How secure is my Internet session?
All public wireless networks lack a high level of security, because they are ‘shared’ among users. We encourage you to be cautious when disclosing personally identifiable or sensitive information while on the Geisinger network. If safety is a concern, we also recommend that you use personal antivirus, firewall and virtual private network (VPN) software on your device.
What can I do if I can't get connected to the network?
First, verify that your laptop has wireless capabilities. Try following the instructions to connect to the public wireless internet again. Remember, the password is case sensitive and you will need to type it exactly the way it was given to you. If you are still unable to connect to the network, use your room phone or a hospital phone and dial 18092 to contact the IT Help Desk. The IT Help Desk will assist you to the best of their ability. Unfortunately, privacy and liability concerns prevent them from working on your computer.
Where can I access wireless internet?
Although internet access is available in many areas of the hospital, a signal may not be accessible at all locations. Due to potential interference with clinical equipment, all electronic devices are prohibited in areas of the hospital where signage indicates cell phones are prohibited.
When accessing the internet at Geisinger we ask that you are mindful of the following:
- Wireless internet access is for the exclusive use of Geisinger patients, family members, and visitors with a legitimate reason to be at a Geisinger site.
- Geisinger will not be responsible for any personal information that is compromised while on the Geisinger network.
- Geisinger will not be responsible for any damage caused to your hardware or software, or lost or stolen devices.
- The Geisinger wireless network must be used in a responsible manner and for lawful purposes only. For example, you are prohibited from sending, receiving or accessing obscene, indecent or harassing material of any kind.
- Parents or guardians are solely responsible for the monitoring of a minor’s access to Geisinger’s wireless network.
- Please be considerate of others in the area and keep the volume on your device low.