Cardiac care nurses work with patients who suffer from heart disease and their families. Cardiac nurses care for patients with acute and/or chronic health conditions of the heart while staying abreast of other medical conditions that impact the heart.
These nurses work with patients in a variety of settings including our acuity adaptalbe critical care setting, inpatient units and clinic settings, assisting with the overall care, education, and well being of the cardiac patient and their family.
HfAM7, Acuity Adaptable Critical Care unit
The Acuity Adaptable Critical Care Unit is a state of the art facility consisting of 30 beds, specializing in the most severe cardio-thoracic and vascular diseases in the region. This unique unit allows the patient room, beds and care intensity to adapt as the patient progresses through the healing process. The nursing staff meet the needs of patients on three acuity levels : intensive care, intermediate care, and telemetry. Nurses encourage patient's family to be a part of the healing process, striving to meet the needs of both the patient and loved ones while staying at Geisinger.
- Number of beds:30
- Nurse to patient ratio: 1:1 up to 1:4
- Type of patients: cardiac surgery, myocardial infarction, vascular, transplant, various overflow
- Clinical make-up: RNs, nurses aides, unit desk clerks
- Shift availability: 8-hour shifts, 12-hour shifts, 16 hour shifts
- Programs/councils: Unit Practice Council, Social Committee, Performance Improvement Council
Operations Manager: Tracy Edelstein, MSN, RN, CCRN
HfAM 8, Telemetry Care Unit, Cardiac Nursing
- Number of beds: 30
- Nurse to patient ratio: 1:3 or 1:5
- Type of patients: cardiac telemetry
- Clinical make-up: RNs, LPNs, technicians, nurses aides, unit desk clerks, and a clinical nurse educator
- Shift availability: 8-hour shifts, 12-hour shifts, 8 and 12 hour shifts
- Programs/councils: Nursing Retention and Communication Council, Professional Practice Council, Nursing Service Quality Performance Council, Unit Practice Council, Unit Pride Council, Charter of the Month, and Equipment Committee
Operations Manager: Phyllis Knorr, RN, ASN
Cardiology Outpatient Clinic, Abigail Geisinger 6
- Services offered:treatment of patients with known or suspected cardiovascular disease. Common diagnosis include: coronary artery disease, valvular disease, congestive heart failure, congential disease, dysrhythmia, heart block, cardiomyopathy, and peripheral vascular disease.
- Clinical make-up: CRNPs, RNs, and LPNs
- Shift availability: 8-hour shifts, with various start times
- Programs/councils: Nursing Service Quality Performance Improvement Council
Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery Outpatient Clinic, Abigail Geisinger 5
- Services offered: cardiac
- Clinical make-up: RNs, LPNs, CRNP, certified nurse specialist, and specialty nurses
- Shift availability: 8-hour shifts, 10-hour shifts
- Programs/councils: Clinical Trials Financial Practices, Clinic Trials Coordinator Group, IRB, Nursing Research Council, Campus Nursing Leadership Council, Geisinger Nurse Practitioner Group, Clinical Nurse Specialist Council, Clinical Research Council, Nursing Service Quality Performance Improvement Council