The Obesity Institute collaborates with a number of external health care and academic centers, including for example, affiliations with
- Boston University
- Yale University including collaborative research on Diabetes
- The Pennsylvania State University including collaborative research with Geisinger’s Aging Center
- The University of Maryland including collaborative research on Genetics
- Temple University including collaborative research on Urban/Rural Nutrition
- Bloomsburg University including collaborative research on the Geriatrics/ WEIGH project
- Bucknell University including collaborative research on Diagnostics
- The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia including adolescent obesity
Collaboration is the fiber of Geisinger’s research and Geisinger encourages affiliations with both local and national institutions.
Geisinger’s state-of-the-art resources and facilities offer a comprehensive infrastructure to support obesity research. These include Geisinger’s Electronic Health Record which allows researchers exclusionary/inclusionary database access to nearly three million Geisinger patient records, and the its repository of DNA samples from over 20,000 consented participants. Geisinger’s Genomics Health Program works closely with the Obesity Institute to use genetic variation and data to determine, for instance, a patient’s candidacy for bariatric surgery.
The Geisinger Center for Clinical Studies, theSigfried and Janet Weis Center for Research and the Geisinger Center for Health Research are home to internationally-renowned investigators with expertise in epidemiology, molecular and cellular biology, rural health, genomics, healthcare information technology, development of new healthcare models and clinical trials management.
For more information about obesity-related collaborative opportunities with Geisinger, please contact
Center for Nutrition and Weight Management
Geisinger Health System
Danville, PA 17822-2111
Phone: (570) 271-6439
Fax: (570) 271-6852