Researchers in the Obesity Institute commonly pursue ventures will colleagues from Geisinger's other departments and institutes. Some examples are highlighted below.
The purpose of this study is to describe the prevalence and spectrum of retinopathy in persons with increased BMI. Results of the pre-surgery ocular evaluation and fundus imaging will be used for this study aim.
The study also aims to determine if a change in ETDRS retinopathy grade and/or retinal vascular caliber occurs after bariatric surgery. Results of the pre and post-surgical ocular examination and fundus imaging will be used for this study aim.
Finally, the study intends to evaluate the correlation between baseline retinopathy and various systemic characteristics. Results of the pre-surgery ocular and systemic evaluations will be used for this study aim.
Internal Research Collaborators
- Dan Bucaloiu, MD, Nephrology
- Laura Campbell, PhD, Psychology
- Charlotte Collins, PhD, Psychology
- John Gerdes, PhD, Psychology
- Tom Graf, MD, Chief Medical Officer for Population Health
- John Kennedy, MD, Endocrinology
- Michael Komar, MD, Gastroenterology
- Michele Maroon, MD, Dermatology
- Eric Newman, MD, Rheumatology
- Mark Poler, MD, Anesthesiology
- Robert Smith, MD, Hepatology
- Tamara Vrabec, MD, Ophthalmology
Lent MR, Hayes SM, Wood GC, Napolitano MA, Argyropoulos G, Gerhard GS, Foster GD, Still CD. Smoking and alcohol use in gastric bypass patients. Eat Behav. 2013 Dec;14(4):460-3. doi: 10.1016/j.eatbeh.2013.08.008. Epub 2013 Aug 17. PubMed PMID: 24183136; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3817413
Bucaloui, ID., Wood, GC., Norfolk, E., Still, CD., Hartle, JE., Perkins, RM.: Fat free Weight Prediction in Morbidly Obese Females. International Journal of Nephrology and Renovascular Disease 2011; 4: 149-155.