A decision that will change your life
Being 100 pounds or more overweight jeopardizes your health. You want to know more about bariatric surgery so we've included information that can help you make a decision that's right for you.
Reducing your weight, even by small amounts, can improve or resolve many health conditions. With medical management and for some, bariatric surgery, managing your body weight becomes easier and offers lifelong benefits that can:
- Lower the risk of heart disease by 47% for women and 67% for men
- Lower the risk of colon, breast, endometrial, kidney and esophageal cancer 25% to 30% (when combined with physical activity)
- Lower your risk of diabetes by up to 80%
- Increase your ability to get pregnant by 43%
- Lower your risk of developing osteoarthritis-which could lead to joint replacements: Every 2-pound loss decreases your risk 9% to 13%
- Lower your risk of sleep apnea, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), and depression
- Decrease the amount of money you spend during your lifetime on medications by 77% and your need for health care services by 36%
The team at Geisinger's Center for Nutrition and Weight Management can help you take control of your weight and improve your overall health.