Before surgery, you’ll be required to:
- Stop smoking
- Achieve a weight loss goal (typically 10 percent of your current weight)
- Read a preparatory book and complete behavior modification modules
- Attend three educational classes
- Attend two patient support groups
- Determine your metabolism
- Undergo a behavior medicine evaluation
- Undergo a medical evaluation
- Undergo a surgical evaluation
- Undergo a nutritional evaluation
Click for a detailed outline of What to Expect Before Bariatric Surgery (.pdf).
Learn what you can expect after bariatric surgery.