Eliminate a lifetime of health risks
You may be considering bariatric - or weight loss -surgery for how it will make you look. But how you’ll feel - and the impact of restoring your body to a normal weight - has lifelong health benefits.
The goal of treatment at Geisinger’s Center for Nutrition and Weight Management is to improve your health through modest, sustained weight reduction and continued long-term management of your weight for a better quality of life. Our comprehensive program provides treatment for patients suffering from obesity and other significant health-related problems including (but not limited to):
- Sleep apnea
- Heart disease
- Fatty liver disease, and others
Bariatric surgery is a life-changing decision
Because of the modifications in your anatomy, your digestive system will be altered forever. You will eat differently. There will be permanent changes in the way you live that will require a substantial commitment and understanding from you. This type of surgery is also not without risks and side effects. For of all these reasons and others, we want you to be thoroughly informed. This website and in-person consultations are crucial in determining if this surgery is right for you
Weight loss surgery could be for you if you:
- Have a BMI of 40 or higher – Calculate your BMI
- Lose weight but regain it
- Have health problems related to your obesity
- Have tried other ways to lose weight without success
- Have a willingness to participate in a program prior to surgery
- Realize this is a serious decision
- Have realistic expectations and know this is a process that takes time
For patients who do not qualify for bariatric surgery or prefer more conservative weight loss therapies, we also offer nutrition and weight management services including individualized programs to suit each patient’s needs. Geisinger’s team of professionals will help you:
- Determine if you are a candidate for weight loss medications.
- Overcome obstacles to exercise and good nutrition.
- Adopt – and maintain –healthier eating habits and lifestyle changes.
- Support you through your weight loss journey.
- Use behavior modification to alter the “dieting mentality”.
To schedule an appointment, call 1-800-275-6401 and ask for bariatric surgery program.
Click to learn more about bariatric surgery procedures offered at Geisinger.