If you, a family member, or a friend has recently been diagnosed with cancer, you probably have many questions about the disease. At Geisinger, we are here to help you understand your treatment options and get the right care.
Cancer does not appear overnight and will not be treated overnight. You will have time to research your cancer diagnosis, decide what your next steps are and come to terms with your diagnosis. We encourage patients to visit the Geisinger Community Health Library, which provides information on types of cancer, treatments and studies. This information allows you to participate in discussions with your Geisinger team of physicians to determine the best course of treatment. We also encourage you to speak openly and honestly with your care team — and ask questions.
Some questions you may want to ask your physician:
- What tests or procedures will I need?
- When will we know my prognosis?
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the side-effects of treatments?
- How long will treatment last? When will it start?
- Where and how often will treatment occur?
- Are there clinical trials that will benefit me?
- Can I keep working?
- Will my appearance change?