Diabetes Education Classes
If you need additional help managing your diabetes, Geisinger’s Endocrinology Department offers education classes. If you’ve been having problems with self-management, your doctor may refer you to our educational classes. Each class focuses on one of four topics:
- Exercise and foot care
- Management scoring
Conducted by certified diabetes educators (CDE), the two-hour sessions feature small group sizes to create an interactive, effective learning environment.
Patients who would benefit from these classes include those who:
- Have uncontrolled diabetes (Type 1 or Type 2)
- Don’t understand their diabetes medications
- Need to learn how to eat within the limits of diabetes
- Need help learning how to use insulin or glucose meters
- Geisinger South Wilkes-Barre
- Geisinger Specialty Clinics at 675 Baltimore Drive, Wilkes-Barre
- Geisinger - Tunkhannock
How to schedule:
Classes must be ordered by a physician. Ask your doctor to submit an order for the classes, then call CareLink at 1-800-275-6401 to sign up for classes. Each class can be scheduled independently, in any order, and at any time within one year of a physician’s referral. Class dates vary but are offered regularly. The referring physician will receive a follow-up letter to confirm the student’s participation, concerns and progress. Students do not need to be Geisinger patients to participate in the classes.