Did you know that asthma is one of the most common reasons children miss school? Whether your child is a toddler or a teen, learning more about asthma can help him to have the most active life possible.
Education is a big focus at Geisinger's Janet Weis Children's Hospital. Our asthma educator will meet with you one-on-one, to teach you about the condition and ways to treat it. Together, we help children to control their symptoms and to enjoy a normal life. We also have specialists who treat adult patients with asthma too.
Patients with a diagnosis of asthma who are signed up for MyGeisinger can now review their personalized asthma action plan and medication refills, as well as complete an asthma control test, track scores, and receive regular newsletters on a range of topics to help them to stay in full asthma control. To sign up for MyGeisinger, please visit www.mygeisinger.org or speak with the staff at your next office visit.
Our goals for every child with asthma
- Develop a written action plan, to use at home and share with schools
- Learn early warning signs and prevent symptoms
- Manage medicines and learn how they work
- Learn to use the peak flow monitor
- Understand the best way to use an inhaler and spacer