Obtaining a Clean Catch Urine Specimen
It is important to obtain a clean urine specimen to prevent contamination of urine with bacteria and cells from the surrounding skin during collection. Follow these steps:
- Wash your hands
- Gently spread the labial or vaginal folds and wipe from front to back with the soap packet. Males should wipe the tip of the penis.
- Girls should sit on the toilet and spread the legs widely
- As the child starts to urinate, let a little bit fall into the toilet first
- Then place the sterile urine cup underneath the child and urinate into the cup
- Place the lid on the sterile cup and keep it refrigerated until it can be brought to the lab or clinic