Geisinger Orthopaedic Institute Publications
Each year, Geisinger orthopaedic researchers publish articles and chapters in biomedical journals, textbooks and other scholarly publications. Our inclusion in these publications confirms Geisinger’s high level of expertise and leadership in the field of orthopaedic medicine.
2011 Peer Reviewed
- Smith WR, Maloney PJ, Cush GJ: "Study finds limited sinus tarsi approach superior to extensile lateral for calcaneus fractures" OrthoToday 2011 Dec;51-52
- Hou Z, Irgit K, Strohecker KA, Matzko ME, Wingert NC, DeSantis JG, Smith WR: "Delayed Flap Reconstruction With Vacuum-Assisted Closure Management of the Open IIIB Tibial Fracture" J Trauma 2011 Dec;71(6):1705-1708
- Hou Z, Moore B, Bowen TR, Irgit K, Matzko ME, Strohecker KA, Smith WR: "Treatment of Interprosthetic Fractures of the Femur" J Trauma 2011 Dec;71(6):1715-1719
- Busch MT, Fernandez MD, Aarons C: "Partial Tears of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament in Children and Adolescents" Clin Sports Med 30 (2011) 743-750
- Keen JS, Desai PP, Smith CS, Suk M: "Efficacy of hydrosurgical debridement and nonocrystalline silver dressings for infection prevention in type II and III open injuries" Intl Wound J 2011; 10.1111/j.1742-481X.2011.00822.x
- Fanelli GC, Beck JD, Edson CJ: “Combined PCL-ACL Lateral and Medial Side Injuries: Treatment and Results” Sports Med Arthrosc Rev 2011; 19(2):120-130
- Fanelli GC: Guest Editor "Knee Dislocations" Sports Med Arthrosc Rev 2011; 19(2)
- Edson CJ, Beck JD, Fanelli GC: “Rehabilitation After Multiple-Ligament Reconstruction of the Knee” Sports Med Arthrosc Rev 2011; 19:162–166
- Cush G, Irgit K: "Drop Foot After Knee Dislocation: Evaluation and Treatment" Sports Med Arthrosc Rev 2011;19:139-146
- Irgit K, Nelson CL: "Defining Racial and Ethnic Disparities in THA and TKA" Clin Orthop Relat Res 10.1007/s11999-011-1885-z
- Beck JD, Klena JC: "Closed Reduction and Treatment of 2 Volar Thumb Metacarpophalangeal Dislocations: Report of 2 Cases" J Hand Surg 2011;36A:665-669
- Beck JD, Klena JC (Editorial Commentary): Krieger Y, Moses A, Silberstein E, Weitzman S, Liberman N, Sagi A: "Flexor Retinaculum Division: Does it Contribute to the Success of Carpal Tunnel Release?" Int J Ther Rehabil, Mar 2011, Vol 18(3)
- Fanelli GC: Guest Editor "How the Experts Manage the Multiple Ligament Injured (Dislocated) Knee" Oper Tech Sports Med, Vol 18(4) Dec 2010
- Fanelli GC: Guest Editor "How the Experts Manage the Multiple Ligament Injured (Dislocated) Knee, Part 2" Oper Tech Sports Med, Vol 19(1) Mar 2011
- Lehman AR, McKenna ME, Wisneski R, Hess WF: "Delayed Presentation of a Traumatic Spinal Epidural Hematoma in a Preadolescent" J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011;93:e28(1-4)
- Ogut T, Ayhan E, Irgit K: "Endoscopic treatment of posterior ankle pain" Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 10.1007/s00167-011-1428-x
- Hou Z, Riehl JT, Smith WR, Strohecker KA, Maloney PJ: "Severe Postpartum Disruption of the Pelvic Ring: Report of Two Cases and Review of the Literature" Patient Saf Surg 2011 Jan 13;5(1):2
- Beck JD, Deegan JH, Rhoades D, Klena JC: "Results of Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release Relative to Surgeon Experience With the Agee Technique" J Hand Surg 2011;36A:61-64
2011 Book Chapters
- Suk M, Steifel E: "Chapter 1: Preventing Complications in Orthopedic Communication", Prevention and Management of Common Fracture Complications, 2012 Slack, pp 3-9
- Nelson CL: "Chapter 47: Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty: Bone Loss Management Using Cancellous Grafts" Advanced Reconstruction Knee, 2011 AAOS pp 417-422
- Stahel PF, Smith WR: “Chapter 6: Closed Head Injury” Trauma Surgery, Handbooks in General Surgery, 1st Edition, Springer 2011, XV, pp 83-101
2011 abstracts & posters
- Vanushkina M, Irgit K, Strohecker K, Nelson C: "Stemmed femoral implants show lower failure rats in revision total knee arthroplasty" 2011 AMA Interim Meeting, New Orleans, LA November 2011
- Fry S, Swaroop V: "Correction of Congenital Vertical Talus Using the Dobbs Method in a Patient with Myelomeningocele: a Case Report" 2011 International Pediatric Orthopaedic Symposium, Orlando FL, December 2011
2010 Peer Reviewed
- Fanelli GC, Edson CJ, Beck JD: "How I Treat the Multiple-Ligament Injured Knee" Oper Tech Sports Med 18:198-210
- Fanelli GC: Guest Editor "The Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction" Sports Med Arthrosc 2010 Dec;18(4)
- Peskun CJ, Levy BA, Fanelli GC, Stannard JP, Stuart MJ, MacDonald PB, Marx RG, Boyd JL, Whelan DB, "Diagnosis and Management of Knee Dislocations" Phys Sportsmed 2010 Dec;38(4):101-11
- Lafaivre KA, Starr AJ, Stahel PF, Elliott AC, Smith WR: "Prediction of Pulmonary Morbidity and Mortality in Patients With Femur Fracture" J Trauma 2010;69:1527-1536
- Fanelli GC, Beck JD, Edson CJ: "Double Bundle Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction" Sports Med Arthrosc Rev 2010;18:242-248
- Malone JW, Snowden R, Alvi F, Klena JC: "Pitfalls of Wrist MR Imaging" Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 18 (2010) 643-662
- Fanelli, G (guest editor): "Posterior Cruciate Ligament edition of The Journal of Knee Surgery, Volume 23(2) 2010
- Hou Z, Bowen TR, Smith WR: "Periprosthetic Femoral Fractures Associated With Hip Arthroplasty" Orthopaedics 2010 Dec 1;33(12):908-916
- Zhang Q, Chen W, Smith WR, Pan J, Liu H, Zhang Y: “Superior Gluteal Artery Injury Presenting as Delayed Onset Shock” Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2010 Jan; 130 pp251-256
- Flierl MA, Stoneback JW, Beauchamp KM, Hak DJ, Morgan SJ, Smith WR, & Stahel PF: “Femur Shaft Fracture Fixation in Head-injured Patients: When is the Right Time?” J Orthop Trauma 2010 Feb; 24(2) pp107-114
- Stahel PF, Flierl MA, Morgan SJ & Smith WR: “Management of a Trochanteric Fracture Complicated by a Bent Solid Intramedullary Femoral Nail In Situ: Description of Technique. A Case Report” J Orthop Trauma 2010 Mar; 24(3) e 25-30
- Suzuki T, Smith WR, Hak DJ, Stahel PF, Baron AJ, Gillani SA, and Morgan SJ: “Combined Injuries of the Pelvis and Acetabulum: Nature of a Devastating Dyad” J Orthop Trauma 2010 May; 24(5) pp303-308
- Ozer K, Kramer W, Gillani S, Williams A, Smith W: “Replantation Versus Revision of Amputated Fingers in Patients Air-Transported to a Level 1 Trauma Center” JHS 2010 June; 35A pp 936-940
- Ziran BH, Kinney RC, Smith WR, Peacher G: “Sub-Mascular Plating of the Humerus: An Emerging Technique” Injury 2010 Jun 4
- Stahel PF, Flierl MA, Smith WR, Morgan SJ, Victoroff MS, Clarke TJ, Sabel AL, Mehler PS: “Disclosure and Reporting of Surgical Complications: A Double-Edged Sword?” Am J Med Qual. 25:398, 2010 June 30
- Hou Z, Zhang Q, Chen W, Zhang P, Jiao Z, Li Z, Smith WR, Pan J, Zhang Y: “The Application of the Axial View Projection of the S1 Pedicel for Sacroiliac Screw” J Orthop Trauma 2010 July; 69(1) pp 122-127
- Suzuki T, Hak DJ, Stahel PF, Morgan SJ, Smith WR: “Safety and Efficacy of Conversion from External Fixation to Plate Fixation in Humeral Shaft Fractures” J Orthop Trauma 2010 Jul; 24(7):414-9
- Ballas SK, Bauserman RL, McCarthy WF, Castro OL, Smith WR, Waclawiw MA: Investigators of the Multicenter Study of Hydroxyurea in Sickle Cell Anemia “Utilization of Analgesics in the MultiCenter Study of Hydroxyurea in Sickle Cell Anemia; Effect of Sex, Age, and Geographical Location” Am J Hematol 2010 Aug; 85(8):613-6
- Kanlic EM, Pinski SE, Verwiebe EG, Saller J, Smith WR: “Acute Morbidity and Complications of Thigh Compartment Syndrome: A Report of 26 Cases” PSS Journal 2010, 4:13
- Fanelli GC, Stannard JP, Stuart MJ, MacDonald PB, Marx RG, Whelan DB, Boyd JL, Levy BA: “Management of Complex Knee Ligament Injuries” J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010;92:2235-46
- Chen W, Su Y, Zhang Q, Zhang Y, Smith WR, Ma L, Guo M, Zheng Z, Qin D, Liu J: “A Proposed New System of Coding and Injury Classification for Arteries in the Trunk and Extremities” Injury (2010), doi:10.1016/j.injury.2010.09.005
- Suzuki T, Morgan SJ, Smith WR, Stahel PF, Flierl MA, Hak DJ: “Stress Radiograph to Detect True Extent of Symphyseal Disruption in Presumed Anteroposterior Compression Type I Pelvic Injuries” J Trauma 2010 Oct 69(4) pp 880-885
- Kamath AF, Horneff JG, Gaffney V, Israelite CL, Nelson CL: “Ethnic and Gender Differences in the Functional Disparities after Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty” Clin Orthop Relat Res (2010)468:3355-3361
- Ross DS, Ferguson A, Bosha P, Cassas K: “Factors that Prevent Roughstock Rodeo Athletes From Wearing Protective Equipment” Curr. Sports Med. Rep. Vol 9, No 6, pp 342-346, 2010
- Fanelli GC, Beck JD, Edson CJ: “Current Concepts Review: The Posterior Cruciate Ligament” J Knee Surg 2010;23:61-72
- Stahel PF, Sabel AL, Victoroff MS, Varnell J, Lembitz A, Boyle DJ, Clarke TJ, Smith WR, Mehler PS: “Wrong-Site and Wrong-Patient Procedures in the Universal Protocol Era” Arch Surg 2010;145(10):978-984
- Flierl MA, Stahel PF, Hak DJ, Morgan SJ, Smith WR: “Traction Table-Related Complications in Orthopaedic Surgery” J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2010;18:668-675
- Fanelli GC, Beck JD, Edson CJ: “Arthroscopic Double-Bundle Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Surgical Technique” J Knee Surg 2010;23:89-94.
- Beck JD, Deegan JH, Riehl JT, Klena JC: “Incidence of Scapholunate Ligament Dissociation in Patients With Aspiration-Confirmed Gout” JHS Vol. 35A, pp 1938-1942, December 2010
- Hou Z, Bowen TR, Smith WR: "Periprosthetic Femoral Fractures Associated With Hip Arthroplasty" Orthopaedics 2010 Dec 1;33(12):908-916
2010 Abstracts & Posters
- Saller J, Verwiebe E, Smith W, Pinski S & Kanlic E: “Thigh Compartment Syndrome.” 74th Annual Western Orthopaedic Association Meeting, Monterey, CA, August 4-7, 2010
- Kamath AF, Lee GC, Forsyth A, Nikci V, Nelson CL: “Total Knee Arthroplasty In Hemophiliacs: Gains in Range of Motion Seen Beyond 18 Months Post-Operatively.” 12th Meeting of the Combined Orthopaedic Associates, Glasgow, Scotland, September 2010; Eastern Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting, Naples, Florida, October 2010
- Flierl MA, Stahel PF, Williams AE, Peacher G, Ross EE, Baron A, Hak DJ, Morgan SJ, Smith WR: “Comparison of Bone Grafting Modalities for Surgical Revision of Fracture-Nonunions in Long Bones: A Retrospective Analysis of 152 Consecutive Patients.” 2010 Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, October 13-16, 2010
2010 Invited Articles, Books and Book Chapters
- Ziran BH, Smith W, Rao Nalini: “Chapter 24, Orthopaedic Infections and Osteomyelitis” Fractures in Adults, Seventh Edition, Volume One. Bucholz, Court-Brown, Heckman, Tornetta III, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010 pp615-640
- Smith WR, Suzuki T, Tornetta III P: “Chapter 22: Pelvic Fractures: Evaluation and Acute Management” OKU: Trauma 4. 2010 AAOS pp 279-292
2010 National/International Presentations
- Kamath AF, Sheth NP, Babatunde O, Hosalkar H, Lee GC, Nelson CL, “Modern Alternative Bearing Total Hip Arthroplasty in Patients Less than Twenty-One Years Old.” International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty, Dubai, UAE, October 6-9, 2010
2009 Peer Reviewed
- McKenna ME, Widmaier JC: “Plating of a Periarticular Medial Clavicle Fracture” Orthopaedics. 2009 May; 32(5) pp 366.
- Stahel PF, Flierl MA, Moore EE, Smith WR, Beauchamp KM, Dwyer A: “Advocating “spine damage control” as a safe and effective treatment modality for unstable thoracolumbar fractures in polytrauma patients: a hypothesis” Journal of Trauma Management & Outcomes. 2009 May; 3:6.
- Zhang Q, Chen W, Smith WR, Pan J, Liu H, Zhang Y: “Superior gluteal artery injury presenting as delayed onset shock” Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2009 June.
- Flierl MA, Stahel PF, Beauchamp KM, Morgan SJ, Smith WR & Shohami E: “Mouse closed head injury model induced by a weight-drop device” Nature Protocols. 2009; 4(9) pp 1328-1337.
- Tuttle MS, Smith WR, Williams AE, Agudelo JF, Hartshorn CJ, Moore EE, Morgan SJ: “Safety and Efficacy of Damage Control External Fixation Versus Early Definitive Stabilization for Femoral Shaft Fractures in the Multiple-Injured Patient” J Trauma. 2009 Sept; 67(3) pp602-605.
- Ozer K, Smith W: “Limb Salvage in the Treatment of Total Muscle Necrosis of the Leg Due to Compartment Syndrome. A Report of Three Cases.” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 Nov; 91A (11) pp 2709-2712.
- Stahel PF, Smith WR, Moore EE: “Current trends in resuscitation strategy for the multiply injured patient.” Injury, Int. J. Care Injured. 2009 Nov; 40S4, pp S27-S35.
- Sathy AK, Starr AJ, Smith WR, Elliott A, Agudelo J, Reinert CM & Minei JP: “The Effect of Pelvis Fracture on Mortality After Trauma: An Analysis of 63,000 Trauma Patients” J Bone Joint Surg Am 2009 Dec, 91-A(12) pp 2803-2810.
2009 Invited Articles, Books and Book Chapters
- Fanelli GC, Wascher D, Tomaszewski DJ, Beck JD, McKenna ME: “Posterior lateral corner injuries” Orthopeadic Knowledge Update Sports Medicine 4. W. Ben Kibler. Rosemont: AAOS, Feb 2009.
- Rudloff MI, Smith WR: “Intramedullary nailing of the femur: current concepts concerning reaming” J. Orthop. Trauma. 2009 May/June; 23 (5) pp S12-17.
- Stahel PF, Flierl MA, Smith WR: “Serum IL-8 and MCP-1 Concentration Do Not Identify Patients With Enlarging Contusions After Traumatic Brain Injury” Letter to the editor. JT Inj. Infect & Critical Care. 2009 June; 66(6): pp 1598.
- Flierl MA, Stahel PF, Touban BM, Beauchamp KM, Morgan SJ, Smith WR, Ipaktchi KR: “Bench-to-bedside review: Burn-induced cerebral inflammation –a neglected entity?” Critical Care. 2009 June; 13(3).
- Hak DJ, Smith WR, Suzuki T: “Management of Hemorrhage in Life-threatening Pelvic Fracture” J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009 July; 17 (7) pp 447-457.
2009 National/International Presentations
- Suzuki T, Hak DJ, Smith WR, Stahel PF, Baron AJ, Morgan SJ: “Technical Difficulties in Removal of the Less Invasive Stabilization System (LISS).” 2009 Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, October 7-10, 2009.
- Ziran BH, Smith WR, Peacher G: “Anterior Sub-Muscular Plating of the Humerus.” 2009 Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, October 7-10, 2009.
2009 Abstracts & Posters
- Smith WR, Baron A, Stahel P, Hak D, Lindeque B, Morgan S: “A Standardized Resident Research Program Increases Productivity and Satisfaction.” 2009 The American Orthopaedic Association, Bonita Springs, Florida, June 11-14, 2009.
- Ozer K, Gillani S, Cao J, Thurman J, Smith W: “Microcirculatory Response in Experimental Compartment Syndrome in Mice.” 2009 Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, October 7-10, 2009.