Geisinger Orthopaedic Institute currently offers international research fellowship opportunities for physicians and other scientists interested in advancing research in the field of orthopaedics. The research fellows conduct numerous research projects, including clinical trials to investigate new technologies and outcome studies to see how we can further improve the way we provide orthopaedic care.
Research fellows work with Geisinger’s expansive research team, as well as our physicians, as an integral part of the Institute’s innovative programs and success.
Geisinger offers a one-year research fellowship. If you'd like to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by phone at 570.271.5555, extension 56820. See also: Research Fellow Alumni.
Kaan Irgit, MD, research fellow
Kaan Irgit, MD, joins the orthopaedic research group at Geisinger Medical Center from Cankaya Hospital, Ankara, Turkey. Dr. Irgit is a 1999 graduate of Dokuz Eylul Medical School and completed his orthopaedic residency in 2005. Currently Dr. Irgit is an active member of Turkish National Society of Foot and Ankle Surgeons and Turkish National Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery & Orthopaedic Sports Medicine.
Dr. Irgit has contributed to three book chapters and given numerous lectures on foot and ankle surgery and arthroscopic surgery. At Geisinger Medical Center, Dr. Irgit continues conducting and publishing peer reviewed clinical research with an emphasis on orthopaedic trauma injuries. He is also involved in implementing and improving standardized treatment protocols for various traumatic orthopaedic injuries.
Dr. Irgit hopes his work with Geisinger Orthopaedic Institute will help to establish Cankaya Hospital as a major contributor to the further development of his national trauma society and orthopaedic trauma research.
- Cush G, IRGIT K: "Drop Foot After Knee Dislocation: Evaluation and Treatment" Sports Med Arthrosc Rev 2011;19:139-146
- IRGIT K, Nelson CL: "Defining Racial and Ethnic Disparities in THA and TKA" Clin Orthop Relat Res 10.1007/s11999-011-1885-z
- Ogut T, Ayhan E, Irgit K: "Endoscopic treatment of posterior ankle pain" Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 10.1007/s00167-011-1428-x
- Ozkoc G, Circi E, Gonc U, IRGIT K, Pourbagher A, Tandogan RN. Radial tears in the root of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2008;16(9):849-54. Epub 2008 Jun 7.
- Iltar S, Alemdaroglu KB, Karalezli N, IRGIT K. A case of an aneurysmal bone cyst of a metatarsal: review of the differential diagnosis and treatment options.
- J Foot Ankle Surg 2009;48(1):74-9.
- Karalezli K, Karakoc Y, Iltar S, Karalezli N, IRGIT K. Hair-Thread Tourniquet Sydrome–Case Report. Acta Orthop Belg 2004;70:180-181.
- Karalezli K, Iltar S, IRGIT K, Karakoc Y, Karalezli N. Coocygectomy in the treatment of Coccygodynia. Acta Orthop Belg 2004
- Karakoc Y, Demir R, Cakir A, IRGIT K, Sahin V. The Long Term Results of Modified McBride Operations in Hallux Valgus. Medical Journal of Ankara Research and Training Hospital 2001;(1-2):34.
- Karakoc Y, Demir R, Cakir A, Cimen O, IRGIT K. The effect of cpm on knee range of motion in total knee arthroplasty. Medical Journal of Ankara Research and Training Hospital 2003;(12-15):52.
- Gonc U, Kayaalp A, IRGIT K. Bone Bruises of the Knee. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 2007;41 Suppl2: 98-104 . Review; Turkish.
- Ugur Sayli, Ugur A, Gönç, IRGIT K Congenital Anomalies of the Lower Extremity III & Congenital Angular Deformities. Türkiye Klinikleri, 2009; 2(4);65-69.Review
- IRGIT K, Tasbag A.T, Sadan A; Congenital Digital Deformities of the Foot; Review: TOTBID dergisi ; 8,(3-4); 2009