Osteoporosis often strikes silently and without warning. So if you are at risk, it's important to get regular bone density scans for early detection of osteoporosis and to help prevent serious injuries.
ARE YOU AT RISK?
People at risk for osteoporosis include:
- Women over 65
- People who sustained a broken bone or fracture without injury
- People who take chronic steroids
- Elderly men
- Women with breast cancer on aromatose inhibitor
- Men with prostate cancer and are receiving treatment
DXA scanning is the most accurate test available to determine your rate of bone loss. At Geisinger, we make it easy for you to get tested. If you fall into an at-risk category and haven’t had a DXA scan within the last three years, consult with your primary care physician or rheumatologist. Your doctor must order the test for you before you make an appointment.
DXA BONE DENSITY SCANS
If you fall into an at-risk category for osteoporosis and haven’t had a DXA scan within the last three years, consult with your primary care physician or rheumatologist. Your doctor must order the test for you before you make an appointment.
We offer DXA testing at several Geisinger sites every day, including:
- Geisinger Medical Center, Danville
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley, Wilkes-Barre
- Geisinger–Mt. Pocono
- Geisinger–Scenery Park, State College