If you are having surgery, please do not have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before your surgery. That includes chewing gum, hard candy or mints, and any tobacco product. If you are having an endoscopic procedure, please follow the instructions your nurse gives you.
Here are other essential “do’s” for the morning of your procedure:
- Have a responsible adult to accompany you, drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours. Your procedure may be canceled if you have no one to care for you during the time after discharge.
- Shower or bathe — do not use makeup, hair spray, nail polish or toiletries
- Brush your teeth (try not to swallow any water)
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and low-heeled shoes
- Leave all valuables and jewelry at home
- Remove all body piercings
- Bring cases for glasses, contact lenses, hearing aids and dentures
- Bring a favorite stuffed animal, sippy cup or blanket for your child who’s undergoing a procedure
- Bring extra diapers, underwear
- Bring any insurance cards, co-payments or completed billing forms
- Bring a list of all medications with dosages and times