Intensive Outpatient Services
Geisinger’s Intensive Outpatient Program offers psychiatric therapy in a home-like environment, three half-days a week. This unique short-term treatment provides an effective alternative to inpatient care or follow-up therapy after hospitalization. The patient’s sessions are concentrated in those time periods for maximum support.
This program most benefits individuals who are experiencing:
- Depression, anxiety and panic
- Difficulty in adjusting to life changes such as divorce, illness, death and job loss
- Suicidal thinking and behavior
- Periods of emotional instability (irritability, mood swings)
- Decline in daily functioning, including ability to concentrate
Structured sessions including group therapy, goal setting, communications skills and stress management provide positive reinforcement.
A psychiatrist oversees medication management and all treatment in the Intensive Outpatient Program, working in conjunction with the behavioral team.