- Why get a Remote Second Opinion?
- Do I need my physician's permission to request a Remote Second Opinion?
- How much does a Remote Second Opinion cost?
- Does my health insurance cover a Remote Second Opinion?
- How do I request a Remote Second Opinion?
- Can I cancel my request for a medical second opinion?
- Is my state excluded from the Geisinger Remote Second Opinion?
- Will my medical records and radiological (X-ray) films or pathology specimens be returned?
- Where should I send my medical records, X-rays, pathological slides, and paraffin blocks?
A Remote Second Opinion is a valuable resource when you are faced with difficult health circumstances or choices regarding your treatment options. Second opinions are quite common throughout the health care industry and are frequently utilized by treating physicians to assist in providing the best care possible for their patients.
Depending on where you live, your availability for travel or your mobility, you may have limited access to highly specialized care. Geisinger Health System's Remote Second Opinion provides timely opinions for specific conditions from leading specialists without requiring you to spend time and money on travel.
Other reasons for considering a Remote Second Opinion from Geisinger include:
- Confirmation of your physician's treatment recommendation
- Assistance in selecting the best treatment option for your condition
- Learning more information about other treatment options available for your condition
Yes. Geisinger's Remote Second Opinion is designed to complement the care you receive from your local, licensed physician, and Geisinger wishes to preserve that relationship. We also believe the benefits of your Remote Second Opinion are maximized when your local physician is included in the communication of the assessment and opinion. Additionally, many states require the involvement of your treating physician when consulting with an out-of-state physician. In an effort to adhere to state laws, Geisinger requires your physician's permission. Top
The cost for a Geisinger Remote Second Opinion is $450.
- If a pathology interpretation is required, there is an additional cost of $180.
- If a radiology interpretation is required, there is an additional cost of $180.
Payment is due at the time of the request. Major credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover) are the accepted means of payment. A receipt for services will be mailed to you after payment is received. Top
A Geisinger Remote Second Opinion is a self-pay service. At this time, most health plans do not cover second opinions, although there is increasing interest in doing so. You may contact your insurance carrier to inquire of your benefit coverage for a medical second opinion; however, Geisinger Health System will not file a claim with your insurance carrier.
Please note that even if coverage is available under your health plan, most insurance companies will require procedure codes to process reimbursements. We cannot provide procedure codes for any services provided through our medical second opinion program. We encourage you to investigate your insurance company's requirements and are happy to assist you with any questions you have about our services by calling us at 1.855.789.2468. Top
Click on the link specific to the available Remote Second Opinion. Top
Yes, but not once your credit card has been charged and work has begun on reviewing your medical history to render an opinion. Once charged and our work has begun, we cannot cancel your request to discontinue your Remote Second Opinion. Top
Geisinger cannot offer its Remote Second Opinion Service to patients who are residents of or have current mailing addresses in the following states: Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, New York and North Dakota.
If you are a resident of one of these states and wish to receive a second opinion from a Geisinger specialist, we are happy to assist you in making an appointment to be seen in person at one of our facilities. Please call our nurse navigator at 1.855.789.2468 for assistance. Top
X-ray films and paper medical records will be returned to you via overnight courier within two weeks of the completion of your medical second opinion. Pathology specimens, including slides and tissue, will be returned directly to the institution from which they were received. Top
All materials and correspondence specific to the Remote Second Opinion should be sent to:
Geisinger Health System
Attn: Tess Mordan, RN
Destination Nurse Navigator
100 N. Academy Avenue
Danville, PA 17822-2766