PartnershipsThe organizations throughout northeast, central and south central Pennsylvania are strong representations of what makes our community unique. We are proud to foster the following partnerships that focus on strengthening our communities - whether directly health care related or not.
Partnering with two regional organizations-ACTION Health in the Central Susquehanna Valley and Healthy Northeast PA in the Wilkes-Barre and Scranton area - Geisinger identified a variety of community health needs. These findings are helping determine the organization's short- and long-term priorities and strategies for improving health. Priorities identified include access to health care services and preventive care, diabetes, mental health, obesity and treatment for substance abuse.
Charity careWe know that not everyone can pay for their health care - but we are committed to ensuring that no one goes without it. That's why we have created a generous charity care policy that covers patients whose financial circumstances or health insurance status make it difficult for them to pay for any or all of their care.
Click to learn more about our charity care program.
A recent report by The Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) indicates Geisinger has an annual $9.9 billion positive impact on the local, regional and Pennsylvania economy.
The impact includes data from Geisinger-Shamokin Area Community Hospital, Geisinger-Bloomsburg Hospital, Geisinger-Community Medical Center in Scranton and affiliates that became part of Geisinger last year.
As a major employer of more than 30,000 people and through the ripple effect utilization of Pennsylvania suppliers and other businesses, Geisinger, including its new facilities in Shamokin, Bloomsburg and Scranton, supports more than 44,000 jobs in the Commonwealth.
While our focus is on the health care of communities in northeast and central Pennsylvania, Geisinger's economic impact is felt across the state and beyond.
When combined with the $635 million annual impact on the New Jersey economy by AtlantiCare – A member of Geisinger, Geisinger’s total economic impact in Pennsylvania and New Jersey is more than $10.5 billion.
Locally, we are responsible for
- More than 30,000 jobs
- Nearly $1.9 billion in salaries, benefits, training and education
- $580.2 million in community benefit
Statewide, we are responsible for
- $9.9 billion in total economic impact
- 44,000 jobs provided through direct employment and "ripple effect" job creation
- 127% growth of Geisinger’s family of employees since FY10
Overall, Pennsylvania hospitals and health systems support nearly 625,000 jobs and have a total economic impact of nearly $115 billion.
“We take seriously our role as a major employer and good corporate citizen,” said Amy Brayford, Executive Vice President, Chief Human Resources Officer, and Chief of Staff. “This latest economic impact report again confirms Geisinger’s position as an important economic driver. A strong Geisinger is good news for everyone — our patients, members, employees and communities.”
In addition to contributing resources to our community, we are proud to also invest employee energy into a variety of community endeavors.
As a system, we donate $3.1 million in services provided by volunteers. Below is just a handful of community organizations with which we volunteer:
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- Area Chambers of Commerce
- Association for the Blind
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters
- Boy Scouts of America
- Central PA Festival of Arts
- Centre Region Parks and Recreation
- Centre Volunteers in Medicine
- Chron's & Colitis Foundation
- Danville Area School District
- Danville Business Alliance
- Healthy Northeast Pennsylvania
- Humane Society
- Huntingdon Community Center
- Huntingdon County PRIDE
- Leadership Lackawanna
- Leadership Susquehanna Valley
- Leadership Wilkes-Barre
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Luzerne County Historical Society
- March of Dimes
- Mifflin County Meltdown/Juniata River Valley Chamber
- Moshannon Valley YMCA
- Philipsburg Main Street Program
- Rivertown Race Series
- Salvation Army
- The Second Mile
- Smart Start- Centre County
- St. Vincent de Paul Soup Kitchen
- United Way
- The Village at Penn State Life Care Retirement Community
- Volunteers in Medicine
- Wilkes-Barre Diamond City Partnership
- YMCA of Centre County