Community Health Needs Assessment
Founded as a single hospital in Danville, PA over a century ago, Geisinger today provides superior healthcare services to communities throughout northeast, central and south-central Pennsylvania and in New Jersey at AtlantiCare. The non-profit mission of the professionals at our 13 hospital campuses and other locations is not only to meet the immediate healthcare needs of their region’s residents, but to anticipate, identify and address future health issues and trends.
The community health needs assessment (CHNA) report is exactly what the name describes. Every three years we conduct a thorough, formal survey to identify the specific needs of the communities and regions we serve and then develop meaningful, measurable responses to those needs.
The 2018 CHNA identified the following priorities across all Geisinger’s service areas:
- Access to care
- Behavioral health (including substance abuse and mental health strategies)
- Chronic disease prevention and management (with a focus on increasing healthy habits)
We have taken major steps toward constant improvement and more focused responsiveness to community needs at each of our campuses. For more information, click on the campuses listed on the left side navigation bar.
Geisinger community benefit facts
- Geisinger medical services are the most advanced in the region.
- We serve more than 1.5 million patients annually in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- From fiscal year 2001 through 2017, Geisinger has provided more than $5 billion in community benefit.
- In fiscal year 2018, we contributed over $2.8 million to community organizations throughout our service area to improve the health and well-being of their residents.
- We partner with area hospitals and providers to strengthen healthcare delivery across our service area.
- We've added more than 10,000 new jobs throughout Pennsylvania over the last decade.
- Recognizing that our employees drive everything we do, we invest more than $2 billion a year in salaries, benefits, training and education. It's one reason why we were named to the
- Becker's Hospital Review "100 Best Places to Work in Health Care" list.
- We're supporting the local and regional economy by employing more than 32,000 residents and increasing our $12.7 billion positive impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies.
Our financial strength allows us to reinvest in our people, programs, services, facilities and technology. In addition to our investment in annual salaries/benefits, we have also made $329.7 million in capital expenditures in fiscal year (FY) 2017, $284 million in FY 2016, and $228 million in FY 2015.
Geisinger's integrated healthcare system has become a nationally-recognized model of care delivery. Our goal is to help people stay well, not just through clinical treatment and positive patient experiences, but also through education and programs that can help them prevent or manage disease and live healthier. We are working hard to earn your trust and make Geisinger the natural choice for all your healthcare needs.
The FY2019 Geisinger CHNA was conducted in partnership with Geisinger, Allied Services Integrated Health System, and Evangelical Community Hospital. The study area included 19 counties across Central, Northeastern, and South-Central Pennsylvania which represent the collective service areas of the collaborating hospitals. To distinguish unique service areas among hospitals and foster cooperation with local community partners to impact health needs, regional research and local reporting was developed.
In assessing the health needs of the community, Geisinger and its CHNA partners solicited and received input from persons who represent the broad interests of the communities served by each hospital, including those with expertise in public health, representatives of medically underserved, low income, and minority populations, and other community stakeholders who brought wide perspectives on community health needs, existing community resources to meet those needs, and gaps in the current service delivery system.
In conducting the 2018 CHNA, Geisinger worked with Baker Tilly, a full-service accounting and advisory firm that offers specialized services in audit, tax, and management consulting. The firm was engaged as our research partner, assisting in all phases of the project. The Baker Tilly team has worked with more than 100 hospitals and thousands of their community partners across the nation to assess health needs and develop actionable plans for community health improvement.