DANVILLE, PA -- A portal to Geisinger's 100-year history was literally opened Wednesday.
Contents from a 1913 George F. Geisinger Memorial Hospital time capsule were revealed during a ceremony at Geisinger Medical Center. It included photographs and documents from hospital founder Abigail Geisinger and her husband George F. Geisinger.
Geisinger Health Foundation Board Chair William H. Alexander and GHS President and CEO David T. Feinberg spoke at the event.
"Mrs. Geisinger, Dr. (Harold) Foss (first chief of staff) and our predecessors at Geisinger definitely shaped the future of health care and have made life better for our patients over the past 100 years," Dr. Feinberg said. "Today, as we move into our second century of service, we have that same opportunity and responsibility to build upon the legacy created since 1915."
A new time capsule will be buried at a future date in GMC's new Alec Ewing Healing Garden. Its contents will include items that salute contemporary Geisinger patients, employees and events from across the system.
Contents from the original time capsule included:
- Photograph of George F. Geisinger
- Photograph of Abigail A. Geisinger
- Photograph of John H. Brugler, the architect
- Photograph of the residence of Abigail Geisinger
- Photograph of the proposed George F. Geisinger Memorial Hospital
- A groundbreaking photo from the George F. Geisinger Memorial Hospital
- A collection of coins from the time period
- Plans and specifications of the new building
- A copy of The Morning News from Sept. 1, 1913
- A copy of the Philadelphia Press from Sept. 1, 1913
Contents from the new time capsule will include:
- Genetics/genomics innovations, particularly the MyCode® Community Health Initiative
- Dr. Feinberg's employee orientation video
- Centennial commemorative items
- 2015 generational nursing calendar
- Photographs from all hospitals across the system
- A map of the Geisinger System Services and Geisinger Health Plan service area
- An Abigail Geisinger centennial flagpole banner
- A DVD of the WYOU Children's Miracle Network Telethon
- DVDs of WVIA Geisinger-related programming
- Annual reports
- Copies of the books "Reinventing Health Care: Geisinger 2001-2015" and "Make It the Best"
- Photos of the contents from the 1913 time capsule
- Programs from system special events
- National news coverage from major Geisinger stories
One of the nation’s most innovative health services organizations, Geisinger serves more than 1.5 million patients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The system includes 13 hospital campuses, a nearly 600,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. Geisinger is known for its focus on caring and innovative programs including the ProvenCare® best-practice approach to maximize quality, safety and value; ProvenHealth Navigator® advanced medical home; Springboard Health® population health program to improve the health of an entire community; ProvenExperience™ to provide refunds to patients unhappy with their care experience; and Geisinger’s MyCode® Community Health Initiative, the largest healthcare system-based precision health project in the world. With more than 215,000 volunteer participants enrolled, MyCode is conducting extensive research and returning medically actionable results to participants. A physician-led organization, with approximately 32,000 employees and more than 1,800 employed physicians, Geisinger leverages an estimated $12.7 billion positive annual impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Repeatedly recognized nationally for integration, quality and service, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to patient care, medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.