DANVILLE, PA -- A portal to Geisinger Health System's 100-year history was literally opened Wednesday.
Contents from a 1913 George F. Geisinger Memorial Hospital time capsule were revealed during a ceremony at Geisinger Medical Center. It included photographs and documents from hospital founder Abigail Geisinger and her husband George F. Geisinger.
Geisinger Health System (GHS) Foundation Board Chair William H. Alexander and GHS President and CEO David T. Feinberg spoke at the event.
"Mrs. Geisinger, Dr. (Harold) Foss (first chief of staff) and our predecessors at Geisinger definitely shaped the future of health care and have made life better for our patients over the past 100 years," Dr. Feinberg said. "Today, as we move into our second century of service, we have that same opportunity and responsibility to build upon the legacy created since 1915."
A new time capsule will be buried at a future date in GMC's new Alec Ewing Healing Garden. Its contents will include items that salute contemporary Geisinger patients, employees and events from across the system.
Contents from the original time capsule included:
- Photograph of George F. Geisinger
- Photograph of Abigail A. Geisinger
- Photograph of John H. Brugler, the architect
- Photograph of the residence of Abigail Geisinger
- Photograph of the proposed George F. Geisinger Memorial Hospital
- A groundbreaking photo from the George F. Geisinger Memorial Hospital
- A collection of coins from the time period
- Plans and specifications of the new building
- A copy of The Morning News from Sept. 1, 1913
- A copy of the Philadelphia Press from Sept. 1, 1913
Contents from the new time capsule will include:
- Genetics/genomics innovations, particularly the MyCode® Community Health Initiative
- Dr. Feinberg's employee orientation video
- Centennial commemorative items
- 2015 generational nursing calendar
- Photographs from all hospitals across the system
- A map of the Geisinger System Services and Geisinger Health Plan service area
- An Abigail Geisinger centennial flagpole banner
- A DVD of the WYOU Children's Miracle Network Telethon
- DVDs of WVIA Geisinger-related programming
- Annual reports
- Copies of the books "Reinventing Health Care: The Geisinger Health System 2001-2015" and "Make It the Best"
- Photos of the contents from the 1913 time capsule
- Programs from system special events
- National news coverage from major Geisinger stories
Geisinger is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record and the development of innovative care delivery models such as ProvenHealth Navigator®, ProvenCare® and ProvenExperience®. As one of the nation’s largest health service organizations, Geisinger serves more than 3 million residents throughout 45 counties in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania, and also in southern New Jersey at AtlantiCare, a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and Geisinger Jersey Shore Hospital became the newest members of the Geisinger Family. The physician-led system is comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan, all of which leverage an estimated $12.7 billion positive impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Geisinger has repeatedly garnered national accolades for integration, quality and service. In addition to fulfilling its patient care mission, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.