FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
FORTY FORT, PA -- Experts from the National Institutes of Health, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and universities from around the country will join Geisinger’s own experts Oct. 13 in an online seminar, “Genomics and Public Health.”
The seminar will examine ways to advance public health and disease prevention through genomic testing. This free, live-streamed, two-hour event begins at 3:30 p.m.
Clinicians, researchers, community organizations, patients and patient advocates are all invited to attend with online registration available at https://events.geisinger.org/eventdetails.cfm?id=8001&s=1.
Among the confirmed speakers are:
- Leslie G. Biesecker, M.D., Chief, Medical Genomics and Metabolic Genetics, National Institutes of Health
- Muin J. Khoury, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Office of Public Health Genomics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Karen Murphy, Ph.D, RN, Secretary of Health, Pennsylvania Department of Health.
- Glenn E. Palomaki, Ph.D., Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Brown University
- Maren T. Scheuner, M.D., M.¬¬¬PH, Faculty Associate, UCLA Center for Health Policy Research
The panel will be led by Geisinger’s Executive Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer David H. Ledbetter, Ph.D., and joined by Geisinger’s Clinical Genomics Director Michael F. Murray, M.D.
Those interested in attending the forum in person at Geisinger’s Precision Health Center, 190 Welles St, Suite 128, Forty Fort, must register in advance. A reception will follow.
One of the nation’s most innovative health services organizations, Geisinger serves more than 1.5 million patients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The system includes 13 hospital campuses, a nearly 600,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. A physician-led organization, with approximately 32,000 employees and more than 1,800 employed physicians, Geisinger leverages an estimated $12.7 billion positive annual impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Repeatedly recognized nationally for integration, quality and service, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to patient care, medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.