FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
FORTY FORT, PA -- Experts from the National Institutes of Health, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and universities from around the country will join Geisinger’s own experts Oct. 13 in an online seminar, “Genomics and Public Health.”
The seminar will examine ways to advance public health and disease prevention through genomic testing. This free, live-streamed, two-hour event begins at 3:30 p.m.
Clinicians, researchers, community organizations, patients and patient advocates are all invited to attend with online registration available at https://events.geisinger.org/eventdetails.cfm?id=8001&s=1.
Among the confirmed speakers are:
- Leslie G. Biesecker, M.D., Chief, Medical Genomics and Metabolic Genetics, National Institutes of Health
- Muin J. Khoury, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Office of Public Health Genomics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Karen Murphy, Ph.D, RN, Secretary of Health, Pennsylvania Department of Health.
- Glenn E. Palomaki, Ph.D., Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Brown University
- Maren T. Scheuner, M.D., M.¬¬¬PH, Faculty Associate, UCLA Center for Health Policy Research
The panel will be led by Geisinger’s Executive Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer David H. Ledbetter, Ph.D., and joined by Geisinger’s Clinical Genomics Director Michael F. Murray, M.D.
Those interested in attending the forum in person at Geisinger’s Precision Health Center, 190 Welles St, Suite 128, Forty Fort, must register in advance. A reception will follow.
Geisinger is committed to making better health easier for the more than 1 million people it serves. Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes 10 hospital campuses, a health plan with more than half a million members, a Research Institute and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.