FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
DANVILLE, PA -- March is National Nutrition Month and Geisinger’s clinical nutrition department is cooking up several activities to celebrate all month long with a special focus on mindfulness. The team is hosting a photo contest on Instagram, seminars on mindful eating and food drives for local families in need.
For the photo contest, Instagram users are invited post a photo and caption on the social media platform that illustrates how they practice mindfulness. Photos tagged with the hashtag #GeisingerMindful will be entered to win one of two mindful-themed gift baskets.
For those who are interested in learning more about mindfulness and how practicing it can lead to a healthier lifestyle, Geisinger dietitian nutritionist Julia Grocki, RDN, LDN, is hosting free seminars titled “Mindful Eating: Lose Weight without Dieting” at several locations on the following dates:
- Tuesday, March 1, 6 p.m., Geisinger Medical Center, Hood Center Auditorium, 100 N. Academy Ave., Danville
- Tuesday, March 8, 6 p.m., Geisinger Community Medical Center, Professional Building Auditorium, 1800 Mulberry St., Scranton
- Thursday, March 24, 6 p.m., Geisinger Lewistown Hospital, Classroom 4, 400 Highland Ave., Lewistown
- Wednesday, March 30, 6 p.m., Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center, Kistler Learning Center, 1000 East Mountain Blvd., Wilkes-Barre
To register for a seminar, visit events.geisinger.org or call 800-275-6401 and say “CareLink.”
Additionally, Geisinger is partnering with the United Way to collect healthy, non-perishable food for food banks in our local communities. The public is invited to deliver food with high nutritional value throughout March to collection bins located in the main lobbies at the following Geisinger sites:
- Geisinger Bloomsburg Hospital, 549 Fair St., Bloomsburg
- Geisinger Community Medical Center, 1800 Mulberry St., Scranton Geisinger Gray’s Woods, 132 Abigail Lane, Port Matilda
- Geisinger Lewistown Hospital, 400 Highland Ave., Lewistown
- Geisinger Medical Center, 100 N. Academy Ave., Danville
- Geisinger Shamokin Area Community Hospital, 4200 Hospital Road, Coal Township
- Geisinger South Wilkes-Barre, 25 Church St., Wilkes-Barre
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center, 1000 East Mountain Blvd., Wilkes-Barre
Geisinger is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record and the development of innovative care delivery models such as ProvenHealth Navigator®, ProvenCare® and ProvenExperience®. As one of the nation’s largest health service organizations, Geisinger serves more than 3 million residents throughout 45 counties in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania, and also in southern New Jersey at AtlantiCare, a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and Geisinger Jersey Shore Hospital became the newest members of the Geisinger Family. The physician-led system is comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan, all of which leverage an estimated $12.7 billion positive impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Geisinger has repeatedly garnered national accolades for integration, quality and service. In addition to fulfilling its patient care mission, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.