DANVILLE, Pa. – The American Academy of Dermatology reports that one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime – the most deadly of skin cancers is melanoma. That’s why Geisinger Health System offers free melanoma screening days for patients at select clinics.
The screenings are available to patients on the following dates at these clinics:
- Tuesday, May 9, 1 to 5 p.m. – Geisinger Dermatology and Mohs Surgery, 115 Woodbine Lane, Danville
- Wednesday, May 10, 1 to 4 p.m. – Geisinger East Mountain Specialty Clinic, 1155 East Mountain Blvd., Wilkes-Barre
- Thursday, May 11, 1 to 4 p.m. – Geisinger Frackville, 701 W. Oak St., Frackville
- Thursday, May 11, 1 to 4 p.m. – Geisinger Shamokin Area Community Hospital, 4200 Hospital Road, Shamokin
- Tuesday, May 16, 1 to 4 p.m. – Geisinger Lock Haven, 955 Bellefonte Ave., Lock Haven
- Thursday, May 18, 1:30 to 4 p.m. – Geisinger Susquehanna University, 620 University Ave., Selinsgrove
- Wednesday, May 24, 1 to 4 p.m. – Geisinger Scenery Park, 200 Scenery Drive, State College
- Tuesday, June 6, 1 to 4 p.m. – Geisinger Bloomsburg Reichart Road, 2407 Reichart Road, Bloomsburg
According to the American Cancer Society, an estimated 87,110 new cases of invasive melanoma will be diagnosed in the U.S. in 2017, and 9,730 people will die from it. Early detection can be a lifesaver.
“It’s important to have your skin checked,” said Howard Pride, M.D., director of dermatology, Geisinger Health System. “A small mole on the skin might not be harmless. A melanoma can kill. But if identified early, melanoma can usually be cured with simple surgical removal. Men 50 years of age and older benefit the most from skin cancer screening.”
Last year’s melanoma screening days saw 933 individuals have their skin checked at one of the specified screening locations.
An appointment is required to participate in these free screenings. To register for any of these screenings, visit Geisinger.org/events or call 800-275-6401. To register for Lock Haven’s screening call 800-230-4565, and for Scenery Park call 814-342-8731.
For media inquiries:
Marketing & Communications