Organization also highly regarded for quality care, healthcare transformation
DANVILLE, Pa. – Geisinger has once again been ranked by industry peers as one of the most innovative healthcare organizations in the country.
The survey of more than 550 healthcare leaders, conducted by Reaction Data, ranked organizations based on innovation, leadership, and cost and quality of care. Those surveyed included chief executive officers, clinicians, information technology experts, and others.
In addition to being recognized as a model for innovation, Geisinger received high marks for delivering quality care at a sustainable cost and for leadership in health care transformation.
“It is an honor to be recognized by our peers for our innovative approach to delivering quality care,” said Jaewon Ryu, M.D., J.D., Geisinger’s chief executive officer. “Our commitment to making better health easy for everyone informs our approach to everything we do, enabling Geisinger to provide world class care right here in the communities we serve.”
Geisinger is home to the Steele Institute for Health Innovation, developing leading-edge solutions that slow rising costs, improve quality and increase access to healthcare. Working with teams in product innovation, robotic process automation, machine learning, behavioral economics and data enterprise, the Steele Institute builds solutions to improve overall health, patient experience, care delivery and affordability.
“Innovation at Geisinger means taking a fundamentally different approach to solving problems facing our patients, members, health system and communities,” said Karen Murphy, PhD, RN, Geisinger’s chief innovation officer. “As an integrated health care delivery system, we have the opportunity to address complex issues using a comprehensive approach.”
Geisinger’s innovative approach to healthcare has generated numerous initiatives to address specific health needs in the regions it serves, including:
- the MyCode Community Health Initiative, a growing research project and the world’s largest biobank with more than 250,000 consenting participants;
- Neighborly, a social care response platform with more than 8,000 listings of community support resources;
- 65 Forward, a holistic approach to primary care created for people age 65+;
- Fresh Food Farmacy, providing healthy food and education to patients with diabetes and food insecurity;
- Geisinger at Home, bringing routine healthcare into patients’ home and expanding the use of technology with remote patient monitoring, telemedicine and patient risk stratification through the development of a chronic disease command center;
- Free2BMom, supporting pregnant women and mothers struggling with opioid use disorder;
- Mom+, a new program to screen women for postpartum depression;
- and participation in the Pennsylvania Rural Health Model, an initiative to preserve rural hospitals.
Geisinger is committed to making better health easier for the more than 1 million people it serves. Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes 10 hospital campuses, a health plan with more than half a million members, a research institute and the Geisinger College of Health Sciences, which includes schools of medicine, nursing and graduate education. With more than 25,000 employees and 1,700+ employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
For media inquiries:
Ashley Andyshak Hayes
Marketing & Communications