Expanded event to serve veterans at eight locations
DANVILLE, Pa. – To thank local veterans for their service to our country, Geisinger will host drive-through Veterans Appreciation dinners at eight locations across the health system’s service area from 4 to 6 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 12. The dinner for U.S. military veterans is provided by Geisinger staff at no cost to participants. Anyone interested should make a reservation by Thursday, Nov. 5.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Geisinger changed this annual tradition from an in-person, sit-down meal to a drive-through event for the safety of the community and staff. The event has expanded from including three hospital campuses last year to eight locations this year.
“We are privileged to honor and serve those who served our country,” said U.S. Air Force veteran J. Edward Hartle, M.D., Geisinger’s executive vice president and chief medical officer. “Many of our patients, health plan members, staff and community members have served in the military, and this event gives us an opportunity to thank them for all they have done to protect the freedoms we enjoy as a country.”
Veterans may contact their preferred location to register themselves and one guest for the meal. Servings are limited, and those interested are encouraged to sign up now.
Locally, Geisinger is holding drive-through dinners for veterans at the following locations on Nov. 12:
- Nay Aug Park, 500 Arthur Ave., Scranton
- To make a reservation for this location, call 570-703-8240 or visit go.geisinger.org/VetsDinner/GCMC
- 6 Wildflower Drive, Wilkes-Barre
- To make a reservation for this location, call 570-808-7000 or visit go.geisinger.org/VetsDinner/GWV
- 50 Roosevelt Terrace, Wilkes-Barre
- To make a reservation for this location, call 570-808-3651 or visit go.geisinger.org/VetsDinner/GSWB
- Geisinger Justin Drive Office Building, 35 Justin Drive, Building 2, Danville
- To make a reservation for this location, call 866-578-3427 or visit go.geisinger.org/VetsDinner/GMC
- Geisinger Bloomsburg Hospital, 549 Fair St., Bloomsburg
- To make a reservation for this location, call 866-462-5127 or visit go.geisinger.org/VetsDinner/GBH
- Geisinger Shamokin Area Community Hospital, 4200 Hospital Road, Coal Township
- To make a reservation for this location, call 866-278-9806 or visit go.geisinger.org/VetsDinner/GSACH
- Geisinger Jersey Shore Hospital, 1020 Thompson St., Jersey Shore
- To make a reservation for this location, call 570-398-3182 or email email@example.com
- Geisinger Lewistown Hospital, 400 Highland Ave., Lewistown
- To make a reservation for this location, call 717-242-7102
“Geisinger is committed to military veterans by providing care options and career opportunities to them in their local communities,” said U.S. Army veteran Chris Grill, program manager of Military and Veterans Affairs at Geisinger. “This dinner is yet another way for us to thank our veterans for their service.”
Geisinger was recently named a Best for Vets: Employers 2020 by the Military Times for the health system’s commitment to hiring and retaining military personnel and reservists within the organization.
In 2019, Geisinger implemented a two-week paid leave benefit for employees serving in the Reserves or the National Guard. Under the leave policy, service members are paid for time at annual trainings, encampments and drills. The health system also created an employee resource group, VetNet, to give a forum to veteran employees for discussing issues important to them.
Geisinger is committed to making better health easier for the more than 1.5 million consumers it serves. Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes 13 hospital campuses, a 600,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With 32,000 employees and 1,800 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania and New Jersey by billions of dollars annually. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.