All Geisinger College of Health Sciences students are required to always have medical insurance while enrolled.
- Students must provide Terry Waibel in Student Health Services with documentation of medical insurance regardless of the carrier.
- Students have the option of purchasing one of the Geisinger Health Plan options described below or can enroll in another plan of their choosing.
- Review the benefit summaries and pay close attention to the deductible information for in-network and out-of-network costs before deciding.
- Students can enroll in medical only or add vision and/or dental.
- The election to have health insurance automatically continues until graduation unless an opt-out form is completed.
- Students who elect to waive the GCHS sponsored plan are required to document minimum coverage requirements that can be found here.
We're here to help.
Geisinger student health plans
More for our students
We're excited to introduce two new health plans just for Geisinger College of Health Sciences students. Each plan is full of added benefits.
How do I know if I am eligible to enroll in a student health plan?
If you're a full-time or part-time Geisinger College of Health Sciences student, you are eligible to enroll in one of our two student health plans. Open enrollment for the 2023 – 2024 school year begins July 1, 2023, and will be active until July 21, 2023; coverage will be effective for enrolled members on Aug. 1, 2023.
What student health plans are available?
We offer two Premier HMO plans to students enrolled at the Geisinger College of Health Sciences. Out-of-network services are not covered; students who choose to seek out-of-network services will be responsible for paying out-of-pocket for their care. Dependents can be enrolled with an additional fee. Check out each plan’s summary of benefits for more details.
How much will students owe in premiums?
Students will owe the following in health insurance premiums:
- $500 Deductible Plan: $465.32 per member, per month
- $4000 Deductible Plan: $419.20 per member, per month
Where can I receive care?
It’s easy to find the doctors, urgent care facilities and hospitals in your area.
Find care near your campus
You have access to a variety of care options close to your campus. Visit our student health services resource page here to view a list of facilities and health resources available at each campus.
Find care within the Premier network
Because you have a Premier HMO through Geisinger Health Plan, you have access to the providers in our exclusive Premier network.
- Visit geisingerhealthplan.com/providersearch to get started.
- Add your location.
- Select your health plan from our list of available plans. Yours will be a Premier HMO.
- Select a category to search from our entire library of applicable providers, or narrow your search by searching for doctors, specialties, locations or types of places.
Receive care outside the network
You also can go outside the Premier network to seek care. Be aware that you will be subject to all out-of-pocket costs by going out of network.
What other benefits can I take advantage of?
- Pay less for health-related products and services you use every day
- Fitness center memberships
- Contact lenses
- Chiropractic care
- Local amusement parks and activities
- Massage therapy and more
We offer several award-winning health management programs to help our members with chronic conditions including asthma, diabetes, heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), tobacco cessation, weight management and more.
- Enroll at no cost
- Work with one of our health managers to better manage your condition
Access to care
As a Geisinger College of Health Sciences student, you can receive care at a facility near your campus. You can also receive care within the Premier network or go outside the network at a higher out-of-pocket cost.
The faculty and staff of Geisinger College of Health Sciences understand that many health and psychological/psychiatric issues confronting Geisinger College of Health Sciences students may be of a sensitive nature and that a professional patient relationship between Geisinger College of Health Sciences faculty and students would be inconsistent with a teacher-student relationship.
Should a Geisinger College of Health Sciences faculty member provide health services of a sensitive nature to a Geisinger College of Health Sciences student, the faculty member will not be involved in the academic evaluation or promotion of the student receiving those services.
When you select a provider from the Premier network, you’ll be able to choose from:
- More than 33,000 healthcare providers
- More than 130 hospitals
- More than 220 urgent and convenient care facilities
- Facilities near your Geisinger College of Health Sciences campus
- Find providers, hospitals and other facilities in our network by visiting geisingerhealthplan.com/providersearch.
You also have the option to seek care outside of the Premier network, but you will be subject to all out-of-pocket costs.
Wellness coaching and support
Work with certified wellness coaches who support your efforts to quit tobacco, manage weight, increase physical activity, decrease stress and improve your lifestyle. Use online tools, including wellness workshops, fitness trackers and a meal planner, and work at your own pace.
Did you know Geisinger Health Plan (GHP) offers a secure and convenient program to deliver prescription medications right to your home? Our mail-order prescription drug service specializes in providing 90-day supplies of medications you take on a regular basis.
- Save up to 50% on Rx copays*
- Take fewer trips to the pharmacy
- Sign-up for no-hassle, automatic refills
- Get free shipping with no membership fees
- Receive your medications in unmarked packaging
- Talk one-on-one with a pharmacist over the phone
- Track your order with real-time shipment information
*Nearly all GHP members with prescription drug coverage will have lower copay amounts for their mail-order medications. Savings rates depend on your health plan. Call us at 800-988-4861 to learn more.
Pediatric dental coverage through Avesis
Dental coverage for children under the age of 19 is embedded in our Geisinger Marketplace plans. All pediatric dental benefits are provided by Avesis. Pediatric dental plans from Avesis include coverage for the following services:
- Routine oral exams and cleanings
- Fluoride treatments
- Repairs and maintenance
- Root canal
Review your Schedule of Benefits for a more detailed list of covered services. Call us at 800-918-5154 with questions about your pediatric dental benefits.
Refractive eye care benefits are available to dependents under the age of 19.
How do I enroll in a student health plan?
To enroll in a student health plan, simply fill out the student application and return to Terry Waibel in Student Health Services. Open enrollment for the 2023 – 2024 school year begins July 1, 2023, and will be active until July 21, 2023; coverage will be effective for enrolled members on Aug. 1, 2023.
What if I want to waive coverage?
Complete this opt-out form to waive your coverage through Geisinger Health Plan. Students who elect to waive the GCHS-sponsored plan are required to document minimum coverage requirements that can be found here.
I’ve submitted my enrollment application. What’s next?
After your application has been processed, a customer care representative will be in touch within 10 business days to discuss next steps with you.
We’ll help you every step of the way.
We get it; health insurance is complicated, and we're not going to leave you on your own. Reach out to us at 855-902-7123 to speak to our dedicated team of trained advisors.
For more information about student health plans, download the brochure.
*Benefits are subject to change
Dental and vision plans
The following dental and vision plans are available to Geisinger College of Health Sciences students. If you have any questions, contact Terry Waibel at email@example.com.
- Dental and vision student plans - insurance rates