Recipe: Grilled cauliflower steaks with beans and walnut pesto
Fire up the grill for a simple and healthy warm-weather meal from registered dietitian nutritionist Sarah Dayton.
Time: 25 minutes
2 heads cauliflower – trimmed of outside leaves
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1 tsp. salt—divided
1/2 cup walnuts (or any nut you have on-hand: almonds, cashews, mixed nuts will all work)
1 cup parsley
1/4 cup fresh basil—packed
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cans not salt added butter beans – drained and rinsed
1 large shallot – finely diced
1 clove garlic – minced
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. olive oil—divided
1. Heat grill to medium.
2. Cut cauliflower heads into ‘steaks’ - place stem side down on the cutting board and slice two large ‘steaks’ from the center, leaving the core intact. (Note: There will be leftover cauliflower from the ends. Try this roasted in the oven with salt pepper and olive oil for a fun weeknight side dish or serve raw with dip for an easy after-school snack!)
3. Spray the cauliflower steaks with pan spray and sprinkle with paprika, 1/2 of the salt and garlic powder on both sides. Grill for 7 minutes, then turn and grill 5-6 minutes more.
4. Meanwhile, to make the pesto: Pulse the parsley, basil, scallions, lemon juice and zest, 2 tbsp. oil and 1/4 tsp. salt in the food processor until well-combined. This can be done up to three days in advance.
5. Add the remaining 1 tbsp. of olive oil to a pan and soften shallots and garlic and 1/2 a cup of water. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
6. Serve the cauliflower steaks over the beans and top with the pesto.