Who says traditional cookies can’t have a healthy twist?
A few ingredient swaps turn this traditional chocolate chip cookie into a healthier version with added nutrients. Flaxseed adds healthy omega-3 fats and fiber, while whole grain pastry flour adds another nutritional boost of fiber. Enjoy!
Makes: 4 dozen (48) cookies
½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 flaxseed egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed plus 2-½ tbsp water)
1-1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, sugars and vanilla in a bowl.
- Add flaxseed egg until well combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to a mixing bowl and combine.
- Stir into wet mixture and add chocolate chips.
- Drop cookies onto baking sheet using a rounded tablespoon.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on cooling racks for about 5 minutes.
Nutrition information (serving size: 1 cookie): 60 calories; 7g carbohydrate; 3g fat; 1g protein; 26mg sodium; 5g sugar