Who says traditional cookies can’t have a healthy twist? A few ingredient swaps turn this traditional chocolate chip cookie into a healthier version with added nutrients. Flaxseed adds healthy omega-3 fats and fiber, while whole grain pastry flour adds another nutritional boost of fiber.
This recipe can easily be doubled and added to other meals. For variety, try roasting other favorite veggies and adding different seasonings. Enjoy!
Makes: 4 dozen (48) cookies
½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 flaxseed egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed plus 2-½ tbsp water)
1-1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, sugars and vanilla in a bowl.
- Add flaxseed egg until well combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to a mixing bowl and combine.
- Stir into wet mixture and add chocolate chips.
- Drop cookies onto baking sheet using a rounded tablespoon.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on cooling racks for about 5 minutes.
Nutrition information (serving size: 1 cookie): 60 calories; 7g carbohydrate; 3g fat; 1g protein; 26mg sodium; 5g sugar