Skip to main content

Part B, or medical insurance

The second part of Medicare, Part B, will be your medical insurance. Part B, combined with Part A, is also known as Original Medicare.

What does Medicare Part B cover?

Medicare Part B covers medically necessary services, such as services or supplies that are needed to treat a condition, as well as preventive services, such as a flu vaccine.

In general, Medicare Part B will cover:

  • Doctor visits
  • Ambulance services
  • Durable medical equipment (DME)
  • Mental health services

How is what Medicare covers determined, and how do I find out if it covers what I need?

Medicare coverage is based on federal and state laws, national coverage decisions made by Medicare and local coverage decisions made by companies in each state that process claims for Medicare.

There are two ways to find out if Medicare covers the services you need. Talk with your provider about what the services/supplies are and why you need them. Then, talk with them about whether Medicare will cover them.

You can also visit medicare.gov/coverage and search for your test, item or service.*

*Source: Medicare, medicare.gov/what-medicare-covers/what-part-b-covers  

How much does Medicare Part B cost?

Medicare beneficiaries will pay a monthly premium for Part B. The cost can vary and is usually deducted from your Social Security check. In addition, there is an annual deductible associated with
Part B coverage. Once that is met, Medicare will cover 80% of the services costs, and you will be responsible for the remaining 20%.

This is important to know: If you don’t sign up in your initial eligibility period, you will need to pay a penalty for each month you hold off. 

Request a call from our Geisinger Gold Medicare Advisors or talk to them today at 855-913-1199 (TTY: 711).
By completing this form, you certify you are at least 18 years old and agree to receive communications from us. Read our privacy policy here.

Geisinger Gold Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO, and HMO SNP plans are offered by Geisinger Health Plan/Geisinger Indemnity Insurance Company, health plans with a Medicare contract. Continued enrollment in Geisinger Gold depends on annual contract renewal.

Y0032_20271_1_M Accepted 10/1/2020
Last updated 8/30/2021