Make the most of fresh corn with this healthy salad.
Fresh, local sweet corn is one of summer’s greatest delights. And think outside the cob. This tender, flavorful treat can be microwaved, boiled, steamed, roasted, grilled and added to soups, stews and salads. Let your creativity run wild.
Corn tastes best served right after it’s picked. But you can easily freeze it by boiling it for 4 minutes then dunking it in ice water. Slip it into a plastic bag, tuck it away in the freezer and enjoy a taste of summer any time of year.
Geisinger clinical dietician Paulette Mordente, RDN, offers this fresh salad showcasing corn:
- 4 ears of corn
- ¾ cup halved grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Add corn to boiling water, then reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, for 8 minutes. Remove and run under cold water to cool quickly.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut the corn off the cob and add to the tomato mixture. Toss gently. Makes 4 servings.
Looking for more? Explore our dietitian-approved recipes