Grilled pineapple is the secret ingredient that makes this recipe stand out at any barbecue.
Planning a cookout? Add this sweet and savory chicken to your menu. It blends the freshest seasonal produce and a few unexpected ingredients to deliver a unique umami flavor.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 2 teaspoons salt-free steak seasoning blend
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon canola or corn oil
- 2 slices fresh pineapple, each ½ inch thick, patted dry
- 1 cup whole strawberries (about 5 ounces), diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 – 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 – 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon
- Preheat the grill on medium high. Brush a grill pan or grill rack with the oil. Heat the grill pan or rack for about 2 minutes. Grill the pineapple for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool before chopping.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the strawberries, onion, mint, sugar and red pepper. Grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest, reserving the lemon. Stir the zest and chopped pineapple into the strawberry mixture. Set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the seasoning blend and salt.
- Grill for 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center. Transfer to plates.
- Squeeze the reserved lemon over the chicken. Serve with the salsa on the side.
Nutrition per serving (serves 4): 191 calories, 3 g fat, 66 mg cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrates, 10 g total sugars, 27 g protein
Recipe courtesy of the American Heart Association.
Looking for more? Explore our dietitian-approved recipes