This simple, flavorful hummus comes together with just a few ingredients. An added bonus? 4 grams of protein per serving.
This classic chickpea dip is a versatile dish that’s easy to make. Serve hummus with fresh raw vegetables, on a piece of whole wheat pita bread or tortilla, on crackers, or as a sandwich filling.
Makes 8 servings.
- 2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans), cooked and drained
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame paste) or substitute peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- If using canned chickpeas, simmer for 20 minutes and then drain.
- Add the chickpeas and lemon juice to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the garlic, tahini and oil. Blend until mixed through.
- Pour into a serving dish and top with garnishes of your choice or serve plain. Prepared hummus can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Recipe adapted from myplate.gov
Nutrition per ¼ cup serving: 117 calories, 10g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 13g carbohydrates, 2g total sugars, 4g protein.
Looking for more? Explore our dietitian-approved recipes