Spaghetti squash boats
Pasta putting on the pounds? Try swapping out high-calorie pasta with nutritious spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash boats are packed with flavor and (don’t tell the kids) good for you, too.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Rinse squash and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Place the squash in a microwave-safe dish and add about an inch of water to the bottom of the dish.
- Microwave on high for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until you can pull away strings with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Pull the squash strands free from the shell with a fork and save the shell.
- In a bowl, mix the squash with olive oil and seasonings. Place the mixture back in the shells.
- Top each squash half with 1 cup of sauce, then ½ cup of cheese. Place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Adapted from wicworks.fns.usda.gov.
This story originally appeared in PA Health, our quarterly full-color magazine filled with wellness tips, inspiring stories and more.
Sign up to have PA Health sent to your mailbox or inbox 4 times a year, for free.