Updated April 21, 2020
Geisinger Health Plan waiving member cost-sharing for COVID-19 testing and treatment
Geisinger Health Plan (GHP) is waiving member cost-sharing for testing and treatment of COVID-19.
• Members will not pay for a COVID-19 test. Members will also not pay a visit fee to a PCP, urgent care center, or ER if they are tested for COVID-19.
• If a member is hospitalized for COVID-19, all in-network, inpatient treatment costs will be waived.
• Cost-sharing is also temporarily waived on all telehealth visits with participating providers, for medical or behavioral health needs, whether or not the visit is COVID-19 related.
The cost waivers will be in effect until further notice. This is applicable to all Geisinger Health Plan members. Self-insured/TPA groups may opt-out.
Members may call their Customer Care Team at the number on their member ID card for more details.
What else we're doing for our members:
- Prescription refills: We are relaxing refill quantity and frequency restrictions to offer 90-day maintenance medication prescriptions and allowing members to refill their prescriptions early. This will apply for controlled substances but will not apply for prescriptions that contain opioids outside of certain conditions.
- Prior authorization: Prior authorization will not be a barrier for any COVID-19 related testing or treatment.
- Home prescription delivery: We are relaxing restrictions on home prescription delivery. We’re also encouraging eligible members to use our mail-order pharmacy.
- Telehealth: Through June 15, cost sharing for all GHP members will be waived for telehealth visits. Members are encouraged to contact their PCP first to see what telehealth services are available. Members can also use Teladoc telehealth services without any cost sharing for both routine medical needs as well as behavioral health* needs.
*Some members may not be eligible for behavioral health services through Geisinger Health Plan based on their benefits
- Behavioral health: Although social distancing is vital during the pandemic, isolation can create increased anxiety and stress. Our behavioral health providers have also increased their options for telehealth services. To learn more about the resources and services available, call 888-839-7972 to speak with GHP’s Care Connector team.
We will continue to evaluate the need for additional actions.
If you have any questions or concerns about COVID-19, please visit the CDC website at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus for current news, testing information and prevention guidelines.
For questions about your coverage, please call the customer service phone number on the back of your membership card.
For more information about Geisinger’s response to the Coronavirus, please visit Geisinger.org/coronavirus.
Please note: GHP has received information from the U.S. Office of Inspector General that members should be on the watch for fraud schemes and scams related to the pandemic. Criminals are using the pandemic to gather personal information in exchange for alleged services, which can lead to identify theft. The OIG recommends:
- Being cautious of unsolicited requests for personal or insurance information
- Being suspicious of any unexpected calls or visitors offering COVID-19 tests or supplies
- Ignoring offers or advertisements for COVID-19 testing or treatments on social media sites
- Using only trusted healthcare providers
Geisinger Health Plan will not request this type of information over the phone. If you suspect any fraudulent activity, you may contact:
- National Center for Disaster Fraud Hotline: (866) 720-5721 or email@example.com
- GHP Customer Care at the phone number on your member ID card
- GHP Fraud and Abuse Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- GHP Compliance Department at 800-292-1627
For media inquiries:
Geisinger Health Plan