How to choose a Medicare Advantage plan
When deciding which Medicare Advantage plan is best for you, consider the “four Cs”: Coverage, cost, convenience and customer service.
What to consider when choosing a planCoverage
- Look for plans that limit out-of-pocket expenses. Consider the added value you’ll get with plans that offer preventive services, as well as dental or vision benefits.
- Before selecting a plan, request a list of covered drugs and make sure your prescriptions are included. Some plans also offer coverage in the Medicare Part D coverage gap, also known as the "donut hole." This means that you won’t have to pay additional out-of-pocket costs for your prescriptions after you and your drug plan have reached the annual limit for your covered drugs.
- Find the right balance between out-of-pocket costs and premiums for you. Pay close attention to the cost of both brand name and generic drugs.
- Become familiar with these important cost-related terms:
- Monthly premium: The amount you pay each month to cover the cost of your membership in the plan
- Deductible: The amount you must pay for healthcare before the plan begins to pay
- Copayment: The amount you pay for each medical service, like a doctor visit
- Coinsurance: The percentage of a charge for services you may have to pay after you pay your plan’s deductible
- Select coverage from a health plan whose network includes the doctors and pharmacies you know.
- If you need help, you want to make sure your insurance company will be there. To find a health plan that offers excellent customer service, look for independent reviews and discuss options with friends and family.
Y0032_18270_1_M File and Use 10/1/18
Learn more about Geisinger Gold.
Shop for a Medicare plan
Find out more about our Medicare Advantage plans.
Have a question?
Before you pick up the phone, take a look at some frequently asked questions.
Find a doctor, pharmacy or prescription
See which doctors, pharmacies and prescriptions are available with Geisinger Gold.
We're here to help
Schedule a home visit, talk with a Geisinger Gold representative or find a neighborhood meeting.