Medication Therapy Management (MTM) is a service provided by pharmacists and other healthcare professionals who have been trained to help patients manage their medications.
Our pharmacists work with your doctor to ensure you are receiving the best possible care. This free and voluntary medication review is included as part of your Medicare Part D prescription coverage, and the MTM services are completed by Mirixa (Community Pharmacy Services) on behalf of Geisinger Health Plan.
Patients who meet the following criteria will be automatically enrolled in the MTM program:
- Three of the five following conditions: diabetes, high blood pressure, COPD, high cholesterol or osteoporosis
- Are taking seven or more medications to treat the previously mentioned chronic conditions
- Have a total medication cost of at least $4,044 annually
Patients with Part D coverage who do not meet the above criteria are still eligible to request enrollment in the program.
How does the program work?
- Throughout the year we will be automatically enrolling patients that meet the above criteria
- Once enrolled, you will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and how to inform us of the best time to reach you
- If you do not contact us with a preferred time, one of our pharmacists will be calling you between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. within a few weeks to months of receiving the letter
- At that time you will be able to either complete the medication review or schedule a future appointment if you are interested in participating
What services are offered?
Our MTM service provides a free, personal consultation with one of our highly trained pharmacists. The consultation is completed over the phone at a time that is convenient for you.
During the consultation, the pharmacist will:
- Review your prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Discuss side effects and drug interactions
- Discuss proper use of your medications
- Identify potential cost savings
After the call, you will be provided with a personalized medication list. Blank copies of the list can be printed by clicking here.
How to obtain more information
If you would like more information regarding this program, call us toll-free at 1-800-988-4861. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST.
Frequently asked questions
What is the cost of this program?
This program is included free of charge as part of your Medicare Part D prescription coverage and is not considered a benefit.
What is Medication Therapy Management (MTM)?
Medication Therapy Management (MTM) is a program provided by pharmacists and other health care professionals to help patients get the most out of their medications. The program includes a review of your over-the-counter and prescription medications while educating you on their proper use. Our pharmacists will also search for drug interactions and possible cost-saving opportunities.
How do I know if I’m eligible?
Our pharmacy team will be identifying eligible patients and will automatically enroll them throughout the year. These patients will receive notification in the mail informing them of their eligibility.
Am I required to participate?
Participation in this program is voluntary. If you would like to withdraw, contact Customer Service at 1-800-988-4861 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday. Remember that while this program is optional, it is of no cost to you and allows us to work with your doctor to ensure you are receiving the best care possible.
How much time will this take?
The average MTM session ranges from 15-30 minutes. However, we are more than happy to spend additional time discussing your medications and health-related concerns, if necessary.
Geisinger Gold Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO, and HMO SNP plans are offered by Geisinger Health Plan/Geisinger Indemnity Insurance Company, health plans with a Medicare contract. Continued enrollment in Geisinger Gold depends on annual contract renewal.
Y0032_19213_1_C Accepted 8/5/19
Page last updated: 7/31/2019