Affordable Care Act: What you need to know
The Affordable Care Act, passed in 2010, requires most Americans to buy health insurance. We explain what you need to do, when you need to do it and how to get the most out of your coverage.
It's the law
On Jan. 1, 2014, the individual mandate went into effect. This mandate requires most Americans to have minimum essential health coverage or they will have a tax penalty from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Open Enrollment for 2018 coverage starts November 1, 2017 and ends December 15, 2017.
Once Open Enrollment is closed, individuals who recently experienced life changes may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period to enroll in a health insurance plan.
Your health coverage options
- You can purchase health coverage:
- Through the federal government (HealthCare.gov)
- Through an authorized broker
- Directly from a private health insurance plan, like GeisingerMarketplace.com
All Geisinger Marketplace plans must offer:
- Ambulatory patient services (medical services delivered on an outpatient basis)
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance abuse treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative (keep or get back skills) and habilitative (learn new skills) services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
Financial help (tax credits for premiums)
Individuals and families purchasing coverage on their own may be eligible for financial help from the government (through an advanced premium tax credit subsidy) to help pay for health insurance premiums. Learn more about financial help.
Learn more about Geisinger Health Plan.
Shop for a plan
Learn more about our plans.
We’re here to help
We have the answers to your questions about health insurance.
Find a doctor, pharmacy or prescription
See what doctors, pharmacies and current prescriptions are available with a Geisinger Marketplace plan.
Members, log in to access information specific to your plan.