The Geisinger family is a tight knit group, consisting of current and former fellows and their families. Many former fellows have stayed with the organization, and their families form a unique support group of friends and colleagues in central Pennsylvania.
The culture of the fellowship is collegial and supportive. Fellows routinely attend system events together. One such example is the journal club, a fellow-organized event that combines a social meal between the preceptors, fellows and their families, with structured readings and discussion about contemporary healthcare topics. Another example that exemplifies the fellowship family is the welcome dinner, thrown by each preceptor when the incoming fellow visits Pennsylvania to look for housing each spring. It is these gatherings and camaraderie that make the Geisinger family unique, among the many programs across the county.
Other benefits of joining the fellowship family include:
- Attending a professional conference annually
- Fellowship exchanges with other institutions
- Site visits across the region, including to AtlantiCare (a member of Geisinger) in New Jersey
- Sponsored participation in regional leadership programs such as Leadership Central Penn, Leadership Wilkes-Barre and Leadership Cumberland
- Attending numerous system social events, speakers and conferences