Child Life internship
Geisinger offers a 16-week, clinically-based program requiring 40 hours a week. Our program is designed for current students or graduates with a child life major or a related field, who are seeking to enter the child life services profession. Individuals not affiliated with a college or university are also encouraged to apply. This clinical training experience is offered twice each year, in the fall and spring semesters and follows the Association for Child Life Professionals (ACLP) for offers and acceptance.
To be considered, the following criteria must be met:
- Bachelor's degree or a senior in college/university pursuing a child life degree or a related field.
- Have previous placement in a supervised setting working directly with well infants, children, youth and/or families (minimum 100 hours). Also, previous job experience with children will be considered (i.e., day care, camp, park/recreation).
- Have volunteer experience with children within a child life department under the supervision of a certified child life specialist (minimum 100 hours).
- Have met the coursework criteria required for the child life certifying exam, including the completion of one child life course taught by a certified child life specialist.
Visit the Association for Child Life Professionals for a list of required coursework.
Application packet must include:
- Completed Geisinger application online
- Completed Common Child Life Internship Application Form
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended (unofficial transcripts are accepted)
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty, supervisors or employers, who have directly observed your work with children and families
- A current resume and cover letter
- A copy of your ACLP Eligibility Assessment Report
Only completed internship application packets will be accepted. The application must be post marked by the application deadline, as specified by ACLP guidelines. Send completed application packet to the address at right.
Spring internship session
Application deadline: March 5