Child Life internship
Geisinger offers a 16-week, clinically-based program requiring 40 hours a week. Our program is designed for current students or graduates with a child life major or a related field, who are seeking to enter the child life services profession. Individuals not affiliated with a college or university are also encouraged to apply. This clinical training experience is offered twice each year, in the fall and spring semesters and follows the Association for Child Life Professionals (ACLP) recommended dates for offers and acceptance.
To be considered, the following criteria must be met:
- Bachelor's degree or a senior in college/university pursuing a child life degree or a related field.
- Have previous placement in a supervised setting working directly with well infants, children, youth and/or families (minimum 100 hours). Also, previous job experience with children will be considered (i.e., day care, camp, park/recreation). “Verification of Related Experience Hours” form required.
- Have volunteer experience with children within a child life department under the supervision of a certified child life specialist (minimum 100 hours). “Verification of Related Experience Hours” form required.
- Have met the coursework criteria required for the child life certifying exam, including the completion of one child life course taught by a certified child life specialist.
Visit the Association for Child Life Professionals for a list of required coursework.
Application packet must include:
- Completed Geisinger application online
- Completed Common Child Life Internship Application Form
- Completed “Verification of Related Experience Hours” forms
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended (unofficial transcripts are accepted)
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty, supervisors or employers, who have directly observed your work with children and families. “Child Life Internship Candidate Common Recommendation Form” required for each recommendation.
- A current resume and cover letter
- A copy of your ACLP Eligibility Assessment Report. Course in-progress forms must be submitted for courses not yet completed.
- A Child Life Practicum is not required but is preferred. Please submit “Confirmation of Child Life Practicum In-progress” form or “Verification of Child Life Practicum Experience Hours” form if this applies to applicant.
Only completed internship application packets will be accepted. The application must be post marked by the application deadline, as specified by ACLP guidelines. Send completed application packet to the address at right.
Spring internship session
Application deadline: September 5
Fall internship session
Application deadline: March 15