The Neuroscience Advanced Practitioner Residency at Geisinger is designed to develop the skill set of advanced practitioners in order to meet the needs of the growing patient population seeking access to quality neuroscience care. APs in the program will expand on the primary care foundation of knowledge acquired during nurse practitioner and physician assistant education through specialized educational and clinical training in neuroscience.
The residency is designed to:
- Promote the development and success of professional, knowledgeable and compassionate advanced practitioners who will excel in the care of patients with neurological and neurosurgical disorders.
- Foster understanding and integration of evidence-based practice.
- Promote the development of professional and collegial working relationships with members of the interprofessional healthcare team.
- Foster a commitment to lifelong learning and self-improvement.
- Promote a culture of patient safety and excellence in quality of patient care.
This is a 12-month program that includes experiences in inpatient and outpatient settings, educational opportunities with our neurology and neurosurgical medical residents, didactics through a variety of departmental conferences and education by faculty trained in a wide variety of neuroscience specialties.
- Orientation: 1 week
- Didactic Review/Neurodiagnostics Intro: 1 week
- General Neurology: 6 weeks
- Neurology subspecialties: 7 weeks
- Consultative Neurology: 4 weeks
- Stroke Neurology: 4 weeks
- Vascular Neurosurgery: 4 weeks
- General Neurosurgery: 6 weeks
- Spine surgery: 6 weeks
- Neurocritical Care: 4 weeks
- Elective: 6 weeks
* Neurology and neurosurgery concentrations can be adjusted to your interests.