History of Marworth
Marworth served from 1931 to 1981 as the family estate for three generations of the Scranton family. The estate name is derived from the first names of Margery and Worthington Scranton, parents of former Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton.
The original 22,000-sq.-ft. building was expanded to better serve the individuals seeking recovery from drug or alcohol addiction.
- After a generous donation from the Scranton family, Marworth Alcohol & Chemical Dependency Treatment Center officially opened.
- Marworth celebrated it's 20-year anniversary by presenting Marworth Founders Governor and Mrs. William W. Scranton, Dr. Henry Hood and Mr. Larry Stetler with the Marworth Award.
- The number of inpatient beds increased from 77 to 91 beds.
- Marworth celebrated it's 25-year anniversary by breaking ground for the upcoming Counseling Wing expansion.
- A 9,000-sq.-ft. Counseling Wing opened with new offices for the counseling staff and meeting rooms for group therapy.
From left, Geisinger Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Frank Trembulak; Marworth Founder and Advisory Board Chairman Larry Stetler; Marworth Founder Governor William Scranton; and Marworth Vice President James Dougherty, cut the ribbon at the dedication of the new Counseling Wing.
- A 5,000-sq.-ft. dietary wing opened to better accommodate Marworth's food services staff who serve meals to as many as 100 people each day.
- The former dining area was converted to a fitness center to help patients maintain their sobriety and improve their overall health.
- Marworth celebrated it's 30-year anniversary. In that time Marworth has treated more than 40,000 patients with the disease of addiction.