Breast cancer treatment
Breast cancer treatment plans depend on the stage and size of the tumor, as well as your age, family history and preferences. At Geisinger, you can access the latest treatment options, including participation in national clinical trials.
Most breast cancer treatment plans include surgery in combination with radiation therapy and systemic treatments. Systemic treatments such as chemotherapy and hormonal therapy are medicines that spread throughout your body to attack cancer cells.
What you should know about breast cancer treatment
- Breast cancer death rates have fallen more than 35 percent in the last 25 years. This decline is most likely due to improved treatments and earlier detection.
- It’s important to discuss all options with your cancer care team. Consider the benefits of each treatment option against the possible risks and side effects.
Why choose Geisinger for your breast cancer treatment?
- Skilled nurse navigators: Understanding and managing your breast cancer treatment can feel overwhelming. Our nurse navigators are specially trained in breast disease and breast cancer care. You are partnered with a navigator who attends every appointment and provides support, education and scheduling assistance.
- Team of cancer specialists: Fighting breast cancer requires a team. At Geisinger, a collaborative approach is standard care for everyone we see. Our team includes specially trained oncologists, surgeons, pathologists, radiologists, psychologists and genetic counselors. These specialists review all your information, discuss options and work with you to determine the best treatment course.
- Advanced treatment options: We use the latest therapies available to create an individualized breast cancer treatment plan. Our therapies include:
- Hypofractionated radiation therapy: A shorter course of larger radiation doses produces the same results as a traditional, longer course. This approach completes treatment two to four weeks sooner.
- IMRT (intensity-modulated radiation therapy): IMRT delivers a precise dose of radiation to specific areas within a tumor, sparing other healthy parts of your breast.
- 3-D conformal radiation therapy (3D CRT): Targeted radiation conforms to the shape of the tumor and limits exposure to surrounding healthy tissue.
- Systemic treatments: Medicines spread throughout your body, or system, to attack cancer cells. Systemic treatments include chemotherapy and hormone therapy.
- Breast surgery: Our experienced breast surgeons perform every type of breast cancer operation, as well as reconstructive surgeries.
- Access to national clinical trials: If you qualify, you may participate in one of more than 100 national clinical cancer trials focused on prevention, diagnosis or treatment.