Kidney cancer occurs when abnormal cells grow out of control. Our doctors deliver the latest treatments, including targeted therapy that strikes cancer more directly and immunotherapy that harnesses your immune system. We also offer clinical trials of new drugs. We provide the options you need.
Your kidneys help you stay healthy by:
- Removing waste and toxins from the blood
- Controlling your blood pressure
- Making sure your body has enough red blood cells
- Maintaining the right chemical balance to keep your bones healthy
What you should know about kidney cancer
- The most common form of kidney cancer is renal cell carcinoma. This type of cancer often affects only one of your two kidneys.
- Your risk of kidney cancer increases with age. The average age at diagnosis is 64.
Why choose Geisinger for your kidney cancer care?
- Minimally invasive surgery: Geisinger specializes in kidney-sparing surgical techniques with the help of robotic surgery. Instead of removing an entire kidney, we only remove the tumor and surrounding tissue. Preserving normal tissue helps you stay healthy enough to try additional treatments that may prevent cancer from coming back. Find out more about robotic surgery.
- Non-surgical treatments: If you cannot have surgery, non-surgical treatments can prevent the tumor from growing. Ablation uses intense heat or cold gas to destroy tumors. We perform these procedures by inserting a needle through the skin. You can go home the same day as your treatment. Learn more about cancer treatment.
- State-of-the-art facilities: Many of our locations have newly renovated surgical suites with the best available technology. People who have surgery at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville can recover in our Hospital for Advanced Medicine (HfAM). Rooms there include all the monitors and equipment needed for your recovery. In the rare event you experience a complication, our specialists come to you so that you do not need to go to another part of the hospital.
Our doctors consider surgical and non-surgical treatments, as well as your personal preferences, to deliver care that’s right for you.
- Ablation : Our doctors use strong energy to destroy tumors, with cold gas freezing them (cryoablation) or microwave radiation heating them (radiofrequency).
- Chemotherapy : Strong drugs destroy cancer cells, prevent them from spreading or slow their growth.
- Cancer clinical trials : Get access to potentially life-saving treatments by participating in a national clinical research study.
- Immunotherapy : We use drugs made of special proteins (biologics) to jumpstart the immune system. Biologics help your body detect and destroy cancer.
- Kidney transplant : Surgeons perform kidney transplantation for those who no longer have functioning kidneys.
- Radiation therapy : This treatment uses radiation (X-ray) beams to destroy cancer cells.
- Surgery : Pediatric surgeons remove tumors without harming nearby organs or tissues.
- Targeted therapy : We deliver high doses of radiation therapy with the help of tiny beads we inject into the tumor.