Lung cancer occurs when abnormal cells in the lungs start growing out of control. We offer a special clinic where you can see multiple lung cancer doctors in one visit. Our approach helps you start treatments as quickly as possible, giving you better chances for successful treatment.
What you should know about lung cancer
- Our team includes doctors who specialize in treating lung cancer (thoracic oncologists).
- Geisinger offers all the latest surgical and non-surgical treatments, including immunotherapy and clinical trials.
Why choose Geisinger for your lung cancer care?
- Specialized care: Our team includes surgeons and cancer doctors (oncologists) who specialize in treating lung cancer. This level of specialization, not widely available in elsewhere in the region, helps you get the best possible care.
- Minimally invasive surgery: We offer all the latest minimally invasive techniques, including robotic surgery. Robotic surgery allows us to accurately pinpoint and remove tumors while preserving as much healthy tissue as possible. Instead of removing the entire lung, we remove just the portion affected by cancer. You can expect less pain after surgery and a lower risk of ongoing breathing problems. Find out more about robotic surgery.
- Safe, effective care: Geisinger’s ProvenCare® uses the latest research and recommendations from the country’s top doctors to offer you exceptional care. Our ProvenCare® Lung Cancer Program was among the first in the country to demonstrate the effectiveness of low-radiation lung imaging. Using the lowest radiation possible during testing protects you from complications such as skin problems and the risk of other cancers. Find out more about ProvenCare®.
Our team’s availability of the latest treatments helps us destroy lung tumors while preserving healthy tissue.
- Ablation : Our doctors use strong energy to destroy tumors, with cold gas freezing them (cryoablation) or microwave radiation heating them (radiofrequency).
- Chemotherapy : Strong drugs destroy cancer cells, prevent them from spreading or slow their growth.
- Cancer clinical trials : Get access to potentially life-saving treatments by participating in a national clinical research study.
- Surgery : Pediatric surgeons remove tumors without harming nearby organs or tissues.
- Immunotherapy : We use drugs made of special proteins (biologics) to jumpstart the immune system. Biologics help your body detect and destroy cancer.
- Photodynamic therapy : Doctors use drugs and a specific type of light to destroy the tumor. Exposing the drugs to the light kills cancer cells.
- Radiation therapy : This treatment uses radiation (X-ray) beams to destroy cancer cells.
- 3-D conformal radiation therapy (3-D CRT) : We use special technology to position radiation beams so they precisely match irregularly shaped tumors.
- Brachytherapy : We deliver high doses of radiation therapy with the help of tiny beads we inject into the tumor.
- Targeted therapy : We deliver high doses of radiation therapy with the help of tiny beads we inject into the tumor.