If you have been struggling with irregular bowel movements or an ongoing condition such as diverticulitis, seeing one of our colorectal surgeons is the first step in getting better. We specialize in surgical and non-surgical treatments for conditions affecting the lower digestive tract.
The lower digestive tract includes the:
- Colon, where the body absorbs water from digested food and forms solid waste (stool)
- Rectum, where stool is stored
- Anus, which is a ring of muscles (sphincter) through which stool passes during bowel movements
What you should know about colorectal surgery
- Many people with colorectal disease are too embarrassed to talk about their symptoms. These symptoms may include stool leakage (incontinence).
- Overcoming your hesitations and seeing a colorectal surgeon can help you achieve a better quality of life.
Why choose Geisinger for your colorectal surgery?
- Specialized care: Our colorectal surgeons’ advanced training gives you the best chance of preserving bowel function after surgery. We use minimally invasive techniques, including robotic surgery, whenever possible. Robotic surgery helps us remove tumors in hard-to-reach areas of the colon and rectum without harming healthy tissue. Find out more about robotic surgery.
- Advanced treatments: Geisinger offers all the latest treatments, including sacral nerve stimulation for incontinence. This treatment uses an implantable device to improve communication between the brain and bowels. After treatment, most people experience significantly fewer accidents or stop having them altogether.
- Support: We take extra steps to help you feel like yourself again after surgery. In the unlikely event you lose bowel function, we help you eliminate stool through a surgically created opening in the small intestine (ostomy). Our certified ostomy nurses give you recommendations on navigating daily life so you can get back to your favorite activities.
Treats these conditions
You don’t have to let colorectal disease get in the way of your busy life. Our surgeons can help you achieve long-lasting relief.